Stairs above stair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hello everyone, happy new year. A bit odd sounding thread, but that is what I need to accomplish. I have a pantry that is above the staircase that goes to the basement. I have only a small square flat area and then 2 boxes to cover the incline from the ceiling for the staircase below it. Does that make sense? We removed one of the boxes so to install steps and gain some space in the pantry. Got the stringers and the problem appeared. The incline of the ceiling is far more steep that the incline of the stringer. We can perhaps cut the stringer to adjust the incline but we would have to make the first step taller than recommended. I am looking for solutions on how to approach this and get the steps installed. Anyone here has faced the same predicament? Thanks

Last edited:
If you can post a couple photos of what you are dealing with we will be able to offer more advice. :coffee:

DA5BED8E-BCBE-444F-8B0B-C36E50D2ECA7.jpegThe box was where the new drywall was placed. And then there is the other "box" creating another step of sorts. We do not want to remove that other step.

50029AA5-6D03-4CA3-8E16-FECD424294C8.jpeg A better view of the top box. There was an aquarium in there and took a hue amount of space in the pantry. We removed it all together and want to maximize the pantry.

As we see it, we may have no option other than making our own stringer. Do you see the same? Thank you

I think the biggest concern here is to make it to code, but the odds are great and we may not be able to find a solution to that.

So the stair stringers in the picture were covered by a drywall box, you don't have stairs here, since they don't seem to lead anywhere but to your pantry shelf. If my understanding is correct you could make the steps into shelves. Without knowing the headroom on the basement stairs I can't say whether you could cut into the ceiling of the stairs to make your pantry floor bigger. I strongly suspect you can't.

So the stair stringers in the picture were covered by a drywall box, you don't have stairs here, since they don't seem to lead anywhere but to your pantry shelf. If my understanding is correct you could make the steps into shelves. Without knowing the headroom on the basement stairs I can't say whether you could cut into the ceiling of the stairs to make your pantry floor bigger. I strongly suspect you can't.
The stingers we placed them in there because there is where we would like to add steps. The incline show is the ceiling for the stairs to the basement, so this is above the ceiling. We could not cut the ceiling to make the floor bigger. We can only add the steps to gain better access to the top shelves and the one above the top box. Clear as mud?

So you want to climb stairs to reach the shelf? Odd but I like it. Could you do with just one step (the bottom one) or do you need all three?

So you want to climb stairs to reach the shelf? Odd but I like it. Could you do with just one step (the bottom one) or do you need all three?
One step would be too little. The height for the stringer as shown is about 24". Then the bow on top goes another 26" and then there is a depth on the top of that box that is over 30". I want to make couple shelving on that back wall over the top box, hence me trying to get the step. Let me see if I can get a better photo.

I have to say that I've never seen anything like this before. But it's not a bad idea. OP seems to be concerned about the uneven step at the bottom. Since this isn't technically a stairway and is simply a step to reach the higher shelf and ledge, he's probably ok with the uneven step at the bottom. If it becomes an issue, he could always install a platform at the bottom to eliminate the uneven step.

Are you looking to take advantage of the space where the steps are, to be able to store items there? Because you might not need the full width of the step. For example that leftmost stringer could be moved one joist to the right, and then you have space to build or install more shelves along the wall.

I thought about using the leftside as a built in shelf of sorts. I will place a cabinet at the "landing" area with drawers, and that will have a "counter" to run all the way to the wall. Then, shelves above. We thought about just having 2 of the stringers, and may go with that idea, after all.

I have to say that I've never seen anything like this before. But it's not a bad idea. OP seems to be concerned about the uneven step at the bottom. Since this isn't technically a stairway and is simply a step to reach the higher shelf and ledge, he's probably ok with the uneven step at the bottom. If it becomes an issue, he could always install a platform at the bottom to eliminate the uneven step.
The pre-existing box had the paraphernalia for a fish tank and took most of the space. I got tired of it all, after 10 years and it is now gone. Correct, it is not a stairway, just steps to reach the top of the shelves, and the top of the other box. I think i will look for a carpenter and may have to built our own stringer to match the incline. Thoughts/

A carpenter would assuredly do a nice job, but this seems easy enough to be a fun DIY project. Kinda wish I had this project in my house!

A carpenter would assuredly do a nice job, but this seems easy enough to be a fun DIY project. Kinda wish I had this project in my house!
We believe we can do it, so hopefully we will find a solution. I thought that perhaps we can make teh stringer out of 2x4. Just not as a continuous item. Thoughts?

Yes the store bought stringers are made more for a porch or deck where you are not trying to match a angle or a odd amount of rise. I would suggest you make your own stringers that give you a constant rise per step with whatever angle you are dealing with. It shouldn't be hard to layout and the top step if it has a little more landing wont hurt. much better looking than the first step having too much rise.

Yes the store bought stringers are made more for a porch or deck where you are not trying to match a angle or a odd amount of rise. I would suggest you make your own stringers that give you a constant rise per step with whatever angle you are dealing with. It shouldn't be hard to layout and the top step if it has a little more landing wont hurt. much better looking than the first step having too much rise.
Would that mean that the tread would not be 10"? Can it be detrimental or dangerous in any way?

Would that mean that the tread would not be 10"? Can it be detrimental or dangerous in any way?
I would match the angle and then go say 8" rise per step and let the run be whatever it comes out to be. Remember when making the first step you have to subtract the thickness of the tread from the rise on the stringer. Best way is to make a scale drawing of what you have first. 1to1 is best if you have someplace large enough to draw it out.

Back