Stairs above stair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would match the angle and then go say 8" rise per step and let the run be whatever it comes out to be. Remember when making the first step you have to subtract the thickness of the tread from the rise on the stringer. Best way is to make a scale drawing of what you have first. 1to1 is best if you have someplace large enough to draw it out.
Thank you. I think we are arriving at something. I do not believe we can add the shelving at the far left side, as the riser is not 15" from the wall. The drawers going on the flat floor are 15" in depth.

You should cut the "stringers" to match the "ceiling" angle. As Bud said, 8" rise is good and code is NOT an issue as this is not a stairway. You can still have the 10" tread. Laying them out on a piece of cardboard is a good idea. You could also make the stringer step out of individual pieces of 3/4" plywood.

You should cut the "stringers" to match the "ceiling" angle. As Bud said, 8" rise is good and code is NOT an issue as this is not a stairway. You can still have the 10" tread. Laying them out on a piece of cardboard is a good idea. You could also make the stringer step out of individual pieces of 3/4" plywood.
Thank you. I think we were able to work something out, and will be cutting it out today. I am happy to have found help here. This is awesome.

Here is the finished steps. It worked out really well. We finished the project this weekend, added the counter to the cabinet and filled the pantry back up. Thank you for the help.BFDECADB-03E1-40F4-8456-12DB2ADB378C.jpeg9E2E4FDE-1A34-4238-8195-F8FDF5A2B22E.jpegA67D39E0-2AE3-41A3-AEFC-2B7B604490F2.jpeg

Nicely done, turned put great. Now, all you need to do is paint a door and door frame on the wall, screw on an old doorknob and have a great conversation piece.

Looks nice. I agree with @oldognewtrick about the false door, that part is critical. You're not done until it's "installed".

Maybe just a sign on the wall saying (Stairway to Heaven)

Great job looks like it will work well. Also thanks for coming back and showing it all done. :coffee:

We love it how it turned out. I may just need to make a little door. We gained a lot of space just by removing the fish tank, but with the steps and new shelving, we have a whole new pantry. Thanks everyone for the help

Latest posts

Back