Standing Water On Porch-Advice Needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vyacheslav

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a storage room in my basement directly beneath my porch. I was getting water leaks in the storage room when it rained. I successfully cemented the gaps and sealed off the porch, including painting it with Behr Masonry Waterproofing paint and a exterior porch paint over top of that. My seal job obviously worked, because now I'm getting standing water on my porch.

As you can see in the two photos, the dirty spots are where the water gathers. You can also tell that where the water gathers is obviously a low spot, because you can see just by looking at the floor vs. the bricks on the wall, the floor slopes in that direction.

How would I go about alleviating this problem? On the other side of the porch walls is just a dirt/mulch flower bed, so water could drain out there no problem. Do I drill some holes or slats where the floor and wall meet? If I do that, how do I make sure that all the water drains out? Will I effect the structural integrity of the porch by doing so? The storage room underneath the porch has a very low ceiling that I can barely stand up in as it is (I'm 6' 3"), so putting a drain or something to that effect underneath isn't really an option.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Porch 1.jpg
    Porch 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Porch 2.jpg
    Porch 2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
Drill the holes then seal their surfaces with the same products used the seal the deck.

I would core a whole from the outside aming to have the top of the deck in the middle of the hole. Then fit a pvc or abs pipe in it and seal that.

Thank you for the responses. How would I be sure that all the water successfully drains out? As you can see by my photos, the area where the water collects is pretty large.

Thank you for the responses. How would I be sure that all the water successfully drains out? As you can see by my photos, the area where the water collects is pretty large.
When you have any water on the deck measure the depth. Fid the deepest spot. I would bet the drain in that spot would drain it all.:rolleyes:

You could put a couple of cups of water to determine the low point, and you may need a squeegee.

Back