Staples From Foam Padding Question

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Johnny Miller

Reaction score
So I have started pulling up my old carpet to put down hardwood flooring. My question is there are a bunch of staples that was holding down the foam padding. Should I remove those or hammer them down? I have been hammering down the names that sticking up as know that much.

kok328

Reaction score
to the best of my knowledge, it makes no difference

Sparky617

Reaction score
3/4" hardwood won't care one way or the other. When I first glanced at your question I thought you were driving them into the hardwoods. That would matter if you were planning on refinishing the floors.

Johnny Miller

Reaction score
3/4" hardwood won't care one way or the other. When I first glanced at your question I thought you were driving them into the hardwoods. That would matter if you were planning on refinishing the floors.
Thanks for the reply. This is just sub floor.

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Are you installing real hardwood or a floating laminate system? Laminates like a smooth surface to live on, be sure to fix any squeaks before you install your new floor.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
A sharp scraper will cut off many of the staples. A spud hoe will knock many of them out of the floor.

Sparky617

Reaction score
Are you installing real hardwood or a floating laminate system? Laminates like a smooth surface to live on, be sure to fix any squeaks before you install your new floor.
A lot of laminates want a pad or have an integrated pad on the bottom. But definitely take care of any squeaks before you put down any hard floor.

Latest posts