Steep Driveway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kierz10

Reaction score
Hi,
My husband and I just bought our first home together and we love everything about it, except for the driveway. My husband is more concerned with this then I am and I'm wondering if there is anything we can do to make it better/safer. Our driveway has a pretty good incline up to our double car garage however, not so much that we bottom out. I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers/tips/solutions in how to deal with a steep driveway. My husband was thinking we should instal a speed bump...does anyone have experience with this or any other ideas? Please kindly note budget is an issue so the cheaper the better! Thanks so much!

Welcome to the site and congrats on the house. What is the concern with the drive way, cars rolling?

What does your husband hope to accomplish with the "speed bump"?

Steep driveways are pretty common around here. My house is down from the street with my yard being a slope from the street to well behind my house. Other homes are at the top of the hill with a pretty good climb up to the house like in your case.

Are you in snow and ice country? How big is your yard? How long is the driveway? Can you post a picture?

Also questioning what a speed bump will do. You will both adjust to the driveway in just a short while. You may want to invest in an apron at the bottom of the driveway if you are in snow country (you may already have one) in case it's tough to get the car up the hill.

A speed bump would just surely complicate matters? It's only going to make it more difficult to get in and out. Not sure there's really much you can do to make it better. Make it into a car elevator?

A speed bump would just surely complicate matters? It's only going to make it more difficult to get in and out. Not sure there's really much you can do to make it better. Make it into a car elevator?

Two and a half-year-old post. She's moved on and hasn't been back since the original.

Back