step replacement

Discussion in 'Bricks, Masonry and Concrete' started by yesdear20003, Apr 17, 2011.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Apr 17, 2011 #1

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

hello everyone : i have just joined your forum here and i am in need of any and all helpful tips as , i am about to try and bust up these steps and slab that i believe is under the steps...

i am thinking theses steps have been here since 1947 when the house was built , but i am not sure of age or if it evens matters ...

now when i go to rebuild her should i repour a new slab under the steps then form in the steps or rebuild the steps then replace the slab to the exsisting side walk

i have absolutely no exeperiance in concrete work ...

kind of curious as to how long this prodject might take ...

would it be best to rent a jackhammer ...

000_5616_00.jpg

000_5617_00.jpg

2. Apr 17, 2011 #2

Perry525

Perry525

Perry525

You could, just repair the damaged step!
    There are plenty of special types of cement/fiberglass reinforcement to choose from.

3. Apr 17, 2011 #3

mudmixer

mudmixer

mudmixer

Contractor

Forget about the steps and rebuild them. A patch repair is definitely a short term solution since the remaining concrete is sub-par.

There could be a lot of salt laden runoff from the parking area that will kill the the concrete unless it is air entrained. Since it is a small amount of concrete, ordering good concrete (4000+ psi and air entrained will be costly be costly use a high strength pre-proportioned mix in the reconstruction and hope it will work for another 10-20 years.

Dick

4. Apr 18, 2011 #4

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Us a jack hammer as you can see the last patch didn,t work well and this can be formed up and pored all at one time.

5. Apr 19, 2011 #5

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

No way would I ever suggest a new bee DIY do this job. Hire a mason to come out and do it. There going to have the tools and lnow how and your not.

6. Apr 19, 2011 #6

Jim_In_Redondo

Jim_In_Redondo

Jim_In_Redondo

I read the previous posts, and there are some good suggestions therein:

* If you have no experience in constructing forms or pouring concrete, then hire it out.
    * If you're moving in a year, then patch it.
    * The observation about salt is new to me, as I live where it doesn't snow.

Other things to consider:
    * Demolition is something you may be able to do for yourself (or hire the kid down the street) and save a few bucks. A masonry blade in a Skillsaw can get you some acceptable joints.
    * I've broken up a lot of concrete, and, often, old concrete just gives up when hit with a sledge and a six foot breaker bar. Hint: start at an outside edge and work forward. Dig under the edge that's to be broken and swing away.
    * You'll have to do something with the debris. In some communities the concrete must be recycled, and it's surprisingly expensive.

7. Apr 21, 2011 #7

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

hey-ah: would like to Thank you all for the great advice on my poor little steps ...

and you guys are right about the salt thing as the idiots i paid , pitched the asphalt down the steps and have had nothing but problems since ....

talked to the brother inlaw , he will frame in the new steps and help me with pouring the concrete as i will make him up a few things he needs at work ...

now all i need is winter to end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and have at her

8. May 9, 2011 #8

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

well i got the 4' slab out and my temporary steps are in ....

now next week we hit her with the jack hammer , and 3/4 masonary drill ...

now it looks like way back when (1947) , they poured a footing let it sit and covered with a little dirt then poured the steps ...

000_5630.jpg

000_5631.jpg

000_5629.jpg

9. Jun 3, 2011 #9

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

yesdear20003

hello everyone

well it's almost a month now and the step replacement has been on hold for weeks , due to my brother in law now whats to be paid for advice on any prodjects first !!!!!!!!!!!

so i have been doing this solo ...

also i wanted to try and prevent the water and salt from running down the new steps and destroying all this work , so i cut the asphalt and i am going to make the steps 6" higher and a ramp pitching the water down the driveway ( i hope ) ...

now i found a guy at work who says he will come and measure things up for me and help me pour this mess ...

000_5648.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011