stinky floors?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eokhuijzen

Reaction score
Bought an old house with STINKY non-cleanable 50 year old carpet. Ripped it out and found hardwood floors! Got them refinished and of course for about 2 weeks had that strong varnish odor. I vented my house by leaving windows open and fans on in the summer. It was gone. The whole reason I ripped out the carpet is to get rid of the smell. But now that it is winter I walk in and it reaks like wood. It is not a nice smell of wood. It is stinky and very strong. I am not sure how to really explain it....has anyone else had this problem? I have washed it with vinegar, mopped it with swifter wet jet and even used Pet odor remover liquid since it has enzymes that kill odor and nothing has helped.....

Most likly the smell from the old carpets and any old pet stains had gotten in the gaps, into the wood and under the floor.
Does anyone else but you smell the floor? Some time certin people are far more senitive to certin odors.
Hardwood floors get covered over all the time for one reason or another.
There a pain to keep up, expencive to refinish, cold under foot, there noisey to walk on, old stains ect.

Thanks for your reply. THe funny thing is they say they dont but I think they are just being nice. This is a very stong odor. How can I get rid of it if it is in the gaps?

That's weird. Never bumped into that kind of situation though. How about pulling out all the floor and replace it with a new one? I know it's expensive but it might be the best solution... :p

Well, I just spent $1000 to refinish them lol so I would not want to do that. Do you think if I clean them with a good cleaner like vinegar and then wax them that the wax may give a protective coating and help cover the smell? then just keep up on the waxing? ....Not sure how thick wax is. Never waxed a floor. And do you know how to do that?

If a couple of coats of poly did not kill the smell then wax is sure not to do it.
And vinager may ruin the finish.
Try this old trick sprinkle baking soda over the whole thing and work it into the cracks Let it sit all day when no ones home and vacuum it up when you get home.
It will do no harm and it's something cheap to try.
The other poster is right if it's under that floor nothing short of removing it down to the floor joist will help.
I gave you a whole list of other things to look at to see if your missing any, did you look? No vaper barrier and the wood under that floor will always be damp. No ridge vent and no soffit vents and the house can not cirulate the damp air in the house.

Back