stops rust best?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is best?

• WD-40

• 3 in 1

• Kroil

• Break free CLP

• boeshield

• LPS

Results are only viewable after voting.

asbestos

Good with caulk
Reaction score
What is the best rust preventer? everyone has their favorite what is your and what do you think is a joke?

WD-40
Break Free CLP
Kroil
Boeshield

on my table saw i use a good dose of linseed oil the reason i dont use wax like many others is where in live here in florida is it is very hot(87 deg at 6 am this morning)and when i cut i dont want the wax transfer to the wood even with a good sanding wax may still be present and the finishes may not apply right.my saw is 4 years old and sitll looks very good. i would not use wd-40 as it is not a rust preventer it is a penatrating oil for breaking up rust on bolts(i also prefer P.B.blaster for that more than wd)as far as the rest of the products you have listed some i have never heard of and i have not used any of the others(what is break free clp?)hope this helps some and i am sure others will chime in as well with what works for them.

I perfer bees wax for my table saw top... When I am not going to be using it for quite some time. (I used to use WD-40 when I didnt know any better and got surface rust). I use steel wool to take the bees wax off when going to do a project:).

Oldslowchevy is right PB BLASTER is the best for busting loose bolts.

I have also used 3 in 1 oil for lots of things, especially for squeaks, never for protecting a finish. If your going to do that, then ANY oil would be a good protecterant... Not recommended for table top saws in my opinion, as it leaves a film and has to be taken off with a solvent.

I have never heard of the other products either, so I cant give an opinion one way or another...

Jesse

Hmmm,

I use Johnson's paste wax or Rain Dance car wax, Eagle One on painted surfaces.

Johnson's for winter dressing. I remove it with mineral spirits before I cut anything that wax would affect.

Rain Dance paste wax in the spring and again when I notice any drag against the table or the fences.

The Eagle One has Teflon in it and I use it once on the painted surfaces when I set up my shop tools. I use it occasionally on my nail guns and my saws, or any metal parts painted or not.

Beeswax is great on the bottom of a plane. Wipe it down, buff it, right before you use it. Amazing how smooth a cut you can get. I've never had a problem with any finish after using beeswax.

Bainbridge Island, is that New York?

Bainbridge Island, is that New York?

no. all the way to your left from NY (WA)

I prefer to wax. WD-40 is more of a detergent than a lubricant.

There is a Canadian product called RustChek, it is used on cars & trucks but is available in small spray cans. You spray it on, leave it overnight and then wipe it off. It lasts for a long time. One year on vehicles under bodies.

Well Square eye hit the nail on the head. But if ya aint gona see it, Grease works good to.

I like WD40 for surface applications; if there is a chance what I'm spraying could get dusty (ie. Patio door rollers, window block and tackle springs) I use silicone spray, WD40 attracts dust where as Silicone spray does not. And on operator gears grease is a must, I like using white lithium grease spray, easy to apply neatly.

Wonder if RustChek is like that stuff I used once. Some sort of a latex solution that bonded with iron oxide.

WD-40 Stands for Water Displacing 40. And is a decent rust preventative. Houghton Intl developed the first RPs in th e 1860's and still makes the industry standard for long term protection.

Every consumer test I have seen shows WD-40 outperforms everything else by a wide margin. Developed for use by the US Navy using your tax dollars so might as well take advantage of the investment.

I use WD-40 and it works really well i haven't used other things so i don't know what is a joke lolz...

I didn't vote in the Poll. I couldn't find Rustoleum in the list.;)

Back