Storm window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hello,

We have 4 problem windows that may cost us too much to replace at this time. Instead we are considering getting storm windows for them. The windows leak terribly and since they are bedroom windows make it very uncomfortable during our long, harsh Wisconsin winter. So, is it worth investing in storm windows? What pointers should we look for on them? What questions shall be asked when obtaining a quote?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Be well

Miriam

that may cost us too much to replace at this time.
So, is it worth investing in storm windows?

What's the heat loss & cost of the windows you can't afford [manuf. will tell you] and what's the heat loss & cost of storm windows [to be found on the Net]?

If you don't mind appearance you can put some kind of window or transparent sheet on the inside.

Where do the windows leak? I have double hung windows and found that by adding extra gaskets to the top and bottom sashes they are tight now. They may also be leaking around the outside of their frame. You can pull off the moldings and foam seal the frames, then replace the moldings.

I have tried the extra gasket and to be honest have not noticed enough improvement. I have use a candle to locate leaks and did find some around the frame. The windows are not old at all, so it is a hard sell to replace them. I have no idea how much would cost us to do the storm windows, but last year we re-did our sunroom and replaced 4 windows at over $4,000. Of course it was a custom size, so that did not help. Hence us considering storm windows. I will work on finding the costs and also heat loss. Otherwise, I will pack my bags and move some place where the sun shines and brings us warmth. :eek:)

The U.S. Department of Energy has a great entry on storm windows. Contains all the information you'll need, plus help answer any specific questions you might have.

Energy Savers: Storm Windows

I have tried the extra gasket and to be honest have not noticed enough improvement. I have use a candle to locate leaks and did find some around the frame. The windows are not old at all, so it is a hard sell to replace them. I have no idea how much would cost us to do the storm windows, but last year we re-did our sunroom and replaced 4 windows at over $4,000. Of course it was a custom size, so that did not help. Hence us considering storm windows. I will work on finding the costs and also heat loss. Otherwise, I will pack my bags and move some place where the sun shines and brings us warmth. :eek:)

I think you'd do best figure out where the air leaks are. I use a burning incense stick to locate leaks. You can increase leakage by turning on bath and kitchen fans, or putting a box fan in another window to exhaust air. Window replacement can almost never be justified for energy savings alone. Perhaps posting a picture of the windows would help in getting more specific suggestions. I'd also suggest Googling something like "leaky windows" to see what techniques work best for your particular type of windows.

If the leakage is around the perimeter of the window frame itself, storm windows may not help.

You can pull off the moldings and foam seal the frames, then replace the moldings.

This is what we will do. It feels like that the leak may be happening due to a lack of insulation around the window. Looking from the outside, it seems that the original windows were bigger than the current ones. So, maybe in the process of re-sizing the opening, adding insulation was not taken in consideration.

Thanks for the ideas. Be well

Miriam

Back