Strange Front Door Weather Stripping

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txmarsh

Reaction score
I have a front door that leaks a lot on the door handle side. It appears to have a groove in the door itself for some sort of weatherstripping (now missing).

I can't find any type of weatherstripping that is designed to be attached to the door itself as opposed to the door frame. There is weatherstripping along the frame... but it is clear to me that there is also supposed to be some sort of barrier attached to the side edge of the door. Anyone have an idea as to what the name of this kind of door might be? Does not appear to be 'Kerf' as 'Kerf' only attaches to the frame. Google isn't helping me on this one. Thanks!

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That's just the seam where the front panel meets the outside piece.
To me it looks that front panel is seperating, the gap should not be that big
One simple trick to make a door shut tighter is to bend the tab inside the door strike, most have a rectangular shaped hole in them so you can slip in a screwdriver.

Thanks for the replies. The door is pretty solid and doesn't seem like its seperating... but perhapse it is. The weather stripping around the frame looks great so not sure why the leak if there isn't anything else involved. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. The door is pretty solid and doesn't seem like its seperating... but perhapse it is. The weather stripping around the frame looks great so not sure why the leak if there isn't anything else involved. Thanks again.
Your door is a normal steel clad door, That weather stripping does lose some over the years and can be changed.

Ok then.. I guess I'll change the weather stripping and see how it goes. Thanks!

Back