Stripper won't strip!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

The title sounds like I had a bad Friday night.

So I am in the process of trying to remove layers of old paint off a piece of pine furniture that my mom left to me. I am using chemicals because I don't want to ruin any of the wood. The top couple layers came right off with no issue. I am down to a green color probably from the 70's that the chemicals will not take off. Is there another type of chemical that might work or am I forced to sand it?

What type of stripper did you use? If you have a Porter or Sherman-Williams, you might try taking it down there and see if they have anything that they'd suggest.

Goof Off and other latex paint removers prob won't work. I've had good luck with Zip-Strip on old paint. I know there are other brand names in the same league, but can't think of names.

Another option I just remembered: heat gun

Last edited:
Some of the "safe" strippers don't really work on alkyds, especially the older ones. In this situation I'd be using a stripper with methylene chloride as the active ingredient. If you get the water wash type, be aware that it will raise a nap on the wood but that is easily dealt with by a light sanding with a fine grit paper when dry. Wear appropriate skin and eye protection.
FWIW
YMMV

Anything alkaline will work on alkyd/oil in high enough concentration.
However, alkalines can react with tannic acid in some hard woods leaving black spots.

Try a heat gun, or up the pH by using ammonia mixed with wallpaper paste or other thickener

Back