Stripping and re-painting exterior paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatjo911

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to strip the existing paint on the outside of my house, and re-paint it. As of right now, some of the paint ( like near the roof ) is very dirty, and the paint on the sides look really thick and some have little trails that ran off then dried.

What is the best way to remove paint ( exterior? )? The painting itself doesn't seem that hard, but it's the removing paint that I am concerned about, not really sure how to tackle it.

I guess two possibilities are chemical removers, and heat.

Advice please !

EDIT:: Sorry I don't think this is in the appropriate section but I do not see a paints section for exterior... please let me know if I should move this thread.

I'm assuming we're talking about paint on wood. If it's old, you do need to be concerned about lead. You can remove paint by chemicals and heat as you mentioned but it can also be removed by sandblasting and water pressure blasting. I prefer using a pressure washer with my rotating sprayer but you do have to be careful so you don't damage the wood much...

Looks like the chemical strippers might be the best choice for me.

I am decorating my room in rasta and on one wall i am doing the rasta striped with all three colors then on the other three walls i am doing a solid color
of red yellow and Grey and i would suggest putting a picture of bob Marley. It would look well.

Chemical stripping is the best solution if you think there might be lead present. This will make it easier to control the old paint and keep it from going airborne.

Back