Structure Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figueroa47

Reaction score
I would like to make an opening on one of my kitchen's block walls. My Problem is that there is a window on that corner of the adjacent wall. How far from the corner would it be safe to construct a doorway. The window is a block width from the corner

Depends on a number of things, including if the block walls are concrete-filled, properly doweled into the slab/footings, and even estimated high wind loads in your area (for anticipated shear forces on the corner). You should try to determine if the first two points are valid before proceeding, otherwise you could face future problems from the forces a slamming door places on an improperly-constructed block wall. If you choose not to do any exploratory investigation, you can always gamble by installing the door anyway, but I'd suggest locating it as far away as possible from the corner. Either that, or build a few reinforced concrete exterior balusters if you choose to crowd the corner. Could even get fancy and build a covered archway entry there.

Depends on a number of things, including if the block walls are concrete-filled, properly doweled into the slab/footings, and even estimated high wind loads in your area (for anticipated shear forces on the corner). You should try to determine if the first two points are valid before proceeding, otherwise you could face future problems from the forces a slamming door places on an improperly-constructed block wall. If you choose not to do any exploratory investigation, you can always gamble by installing the door anyway, but I'd suggest locating it as far away as possible from the corner. Either that, or build a few reinforced concrete exterior balusters if you choose to crowd the corner. Could even get fancy and build a covered archway entry there.
Thanks for the reply but how can I determine if the walls are filled or properly doweled into into the slab/ footing? The proposed doorway will not be exposed to the exterior rather it will be into a former storeroom in a converted car port that has been turned into a bedroom. The extra 6' x 10'6" space adjacent to the new bedroom will be a new laundry area opened from the kitchen through the new entrance. ( No door installed). This side of the house is not exposed to the elements and the exterior entrance is approx. 5' from the corner. All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Renting/using a pachometer would enable you to determine if any rebar is anchoring the wall to the slab, but unless you have some experience using one, it could be a challenge. You can determine if the wall's block are filled with concrete when you open up the wall, but it's probably a moot point anyway--since it sounds like you will just be constructing an open walkway where a window presently is.

Back