Studs pushing/bulging out of drywall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tawny Miller

Reaction score
Hello, I am not home improvement savvy at all. I've tried searching the internet but couldn't find much on this particular issue. All that did pop up was about "ghosting" and I don't believe that is my problem. This occurs mostly in the bathroom and the hallway wall that runs the length of the bathroom. Also one area in the bedroom ceiling next to the bathroom. It looks like the studs are bulging out. It is extremely noticeable. In some areas either the paint or drywall has also cracked. Please see attached photos.

20190110_125722.jpg 20190110_125803.jpg
20190110_125831.jpg 20190110_125954.jpg
w hat could be causing this and how can it be fixed?

Thank you!

Welcome.

It appears that some of the framing lumber was not correctly crowned and/or was installed already deformed.

In photo #1, does the bulge closely correspond with the corner on the other side of the hallway?

In photo #2, can you take a photo of the attic above this area?

In photo's #3 & #4, these may be corrected by adding drywall compound to fill in the valleys.

All of the above and add a poopy taping job to the list as well as not having 5/8 rock on the ceiling, someone tried just painting bare sheetrock with "primer and paint in one" and only used one coat, which would be a huge mistake.
No location in your profile so no will know how much insulation should have been in the attic and walls to eliminate the ghosting idea.
A thermal camera would the best way to check that idea.
What's in the attic, trusses or was it stick built?
I've never once seen wall studs "crowned".

How old is the house, are we sure this isn't a poorly done plaster finish.
The big bump in the wall looks like a pipe a little to big for the wall.

Welcome.

It appears that some of the framing lumber was not correctly crowned and/or was installed already deformed.

In photo #1, does the bulge closely correspond with the corner on the other side of the hallway?

In photo #2, can you take a photo of the attic above this area?

In photo's #3 & #4, these may be corrected by adding drywall compound to fill in the valleys.

There is about 14" difference with the bulge and the corner across the hall

I will have to ask my husband about the photo of the attic.

Thank you for your reply, I will discus this with my husband!

All of the above and add a poopy taping job to the list as well as not having 5/8 rock on the ceiling, someone tried just painting bare sheetrock with "primer and paint in one" and only used one coat, which would be a huge mistake.
No location in your profile so no will know how much insulation should have been in the attic and walls to eliminate the ghosting idea.
A thermal camera would the best way to check that idea.
What's in the attic, trusses or was it stick built?
I've never once seen wall studs "crowned".

Interesting! We are located in the Rockies/Colorado. Husband says there are trusses.
I certainly hope the studs don't crown!

For the 2 0f you that missed this, "already deformed."

So, when a stud in a wall looks like a bow, is it just crooked, or deformed and used because it wasn't going to be replaced by the builder, or when the same stud is in a stack of wood and you stand it on its edge, with the concave edge down, is it crowned?

Back