Stupid DIYer...(ripping up old flooring)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddy C

Reaction score
So I recently decided to pull up old sheet (vinyl?) flooring out of my 70 square foot bathroom. My uneducated DIY self failed to check to see if any of this flooring had asbestos in it. The flooring honestly doesn't look that old but its hard to tell being my house is very old. Any options for knowing for sure? This flooring looks common. I have attached a picture. Thanks...

Attachments

• tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26
I agree and it's up now so stuff it in a garbage bag and forget about it.

Good clue would be how old is your house and what kind of sub floor is under it.

If you want to know then take a section of it in and have it tested but call them first, there is a protocal on how to package it up before taking to the office. Here in BC Canada they are very strick rules for handling anything with asbestos in it or even if there's a possibility. At a minimum they want you wearing disposible coveralls, gloves, mask( not the cheepies) then double bag it with special 6mil plastic bags then we have to make appointment to take it in to the dump were they depose them of it safely.

80s-90s vinyl.

I agree. it looks too new for asbestos. The only thing that's an obvious flag is the 9-inch glue down tiles that so many older homes still have in their basements

I agree. it looks too new for asbestos. The only thing that's an obvious flag is the 9-inch glue down tiles that so many older homes still have in their basements
Just as many 12 x 12 tiles also had asbestos. But most of the asbestos was in the adhesive.

Back