subfloor in 1950's home

Help Support House Repair Talk:

cfd1984

Reaction score
Had some termite damage in the original subfloor of my 1959 built home. I cut out the bad boards and replaced with 3/4 t&g sheets glued and screwed down to the joists. I am not sure what type of wood floor I will be installing, but should I put down and underlayment before installing hardwood floors? I have gone through the entire home and screwed down all the old subfloor to try and take the squeaks out, and my thought now is to glue and screw down 1/2inch plywood over the entire floor before installing hardwoods. I will try and attach some pics of the floor.

Thanks

floor 1.jpg

floor 2.jpg

floor 3.jpg

floor 4.jpg

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you have the whole house ripped up you will never have a better time to level and cover everything to get a true surface. I think I would do what you are thinking about doing. Maybe even ¾ thick.

Welcome to the forum.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Do not glue down the 1/2". Fasten to the subfloor and miss the joists with the screws. Each layer will contract and expand slightly due to moisture and temperature. If glued and/or screwed to the joists, it will cause issues. It could make it split.

Latest posts