Suggestions for mattress

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula Hardy

Reaction score
We just shifted to our new home located in the outskirts of Mississauga. It was a long term dream of ours. Finally, we are at home! There are a lot of things that are still to be purchased. Interior decoration ought to be done in most of the rooms. Along with that, essential household items also requires ordering. We are yet to buy mattresses for all the rooms, including the master bedroom. What are my options? We want to buy one that lasts long, and we needn't replace it every 10 years or so. Most of our friends have recommended us to buy memory foam mattress. They are saying that it has high durability, and is good for health too. Maybe we will go ahead with that, but was wondering whether it is certified for the kids as well? I don't want any of them to health problems. One of them is in primary, and the other is in high school. Most of the households are opting fo bed-in-a-box too. Is that the better option? Please help us in making an apt decision. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't bought any memory foam mattresses for younger ones, but a quick search shows there are some made to accommodate them. It would be fine for your teen, but not sure for your younger child.

We have a regular mattress with a memory foam topper. It's very comfortable and also reduces the extent to which someone on one side of the bed gets shifted when the person on the other side of the bed moves around.

Now, I don't really know what kind of mattress my "regular mattress" is, other than it isn't memory foam and it looks very conventional from the outside. It's old and due to be replaced (it's sagging a bit along the edges) but we haven't yet because we just haven't had any problems with it.

So if that is any guide, then you should be able to get away with a regular (and probably much cheaper) conventional mattress and a memory foam topper.

Go to Amazon and search for Zinus mattress. Three years ago I was at the same point of research. I bothered all of my friends with Caspers, Purples, Tuft and Needle, expensive stuff, cheap stuff, you name it. Hey, do you mind if I randomly come in your home and try your mattress?

If found Zinus on Amazon and it was so inexpensive that I figured it had to be terrible, but for the price, I could buy one every year for 15 years and still be ahead of the game compared to a $2500 luxury brand.

Three years later I still love it. I recommend them to everyone. You'll see a ton of negative reviews that they are shipped wet and have a mildew odor. It is true that they feel damp because of the cooling gel, and it is true that they SMELL a little like mildew, but the odor is just the synthetic chemicals used to make the foam. It goes away. At the time, I got a full mattress, 12 or 14" thick (I forget) marketed as a green-tea infused version for $168 USD. I think they are up in the mid $200s USD now. I loved it so much that I got another one for my RV and the 4" topper version as my tent mattress.

I've had a hard time finding good mattresses that last. The newer mattresses that have harder foam under memory foam tend to compress permanently and have pits where you sleep (at least for me).
My mother got a Tempurpedic 8" full memory foam mattress over 15 years ago and it's still good.
I think it all depends on the features you want from a mattress, what softness you want, etc.

Back