Sump pump hum but no pumping

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradB78

Reaction score
Hi, just joined today and excited to be a part of this.
I have a sump pump, new within a year, and the float switch was getting caught against something so I adjusted it so it moves freely. When I first looked at it, lifting the switch I could hear the ball inside the switch "flop over" to complete the circuit, but the pump was only humming, not pumping. After playing with it a number of times the pump finally sucked all the water out. First time ever seeing one of these work, very fast. So I adjusted the float switch, tested fill/empty/fill/empty 5 times and ran every time.

1 week later I check water level and operation of the float switch - AGAIN, I only hear humming, but it is not pumping the water. It is like the pump is not getting enough voltage, or some contacts have become resistive. I do have a multimeter and electrical is my forte. Has anyone had this humming before? Is the problem likely switch, or pump?

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_095933447.jpg
    IMG_20210629_095933447.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 4
I'd pull it out and check to see if the impeller is turning, I'd also use my shop vac to suck out those stones.
One may be jamb in the impeller stopping it from turning.

I'd pull it out and check to see if the impeller is turning, I'd also use my shop vac to suck out those stones.
One may be jamb in the impeller stopping it from turning.
Thanks again, yes I pulled a pile of stones out of the pit, and the pump even though connected to the drain pipe had some sideways movement and a small bit of vertical, was able to clear it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_102238709.jpg
    IMG_20210701_102238709.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1
Back