Sump pump question - urgent

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hominamad

Reaction score
Hi - I live in New York and we're having a crazy storm now, with flooding everywhere. I noticed a bad sound coming from my sump pump. Video below. The crazy thing, is that this is the sound that is coming out of it when OFF. In other words, when the pump kicks in, the noise stops. When the pump stops, the noise starts. The thing that really has me perplexed is that this noise continues even if I unplug the pump. I assume this is not a good noise, but does this mean failure could be imminent? What could be causing this noise and why does it continue even after unplugging the pump? Needless to say I am going to have it looked at asap, but I'm curious what this is and how bad it could be. Thanks.

Thanks - I was reading about that last night. Most of the sites/videos talking about the check valve, it seemed like the noise was a sudden thump or bang when the pump shuts off. I have that too, but it hasn't really bothered me too much. In this case it's like a constant banging during the whole time the pump isn't running. I haven't seen anyone else talk about a noise like that. Is it somehow being caused by the pressure of the water sitting back in the pipe on top of the valve? It's definitely something physical, because like I said, unplugging the pump does not stop the noise.

Latest posts

Back