Support 2x4 in attic? Can I remove?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I’m in the process of expanding the above garage storage attic and have a question about a 2x4 which spans across the bottom of roof truss. I’m assuming it was put in as a temporary support while the roof was being put on, but not 100% sure. I’d like to remove it as it’s blocking access to the storage area I’m adding.

My questions. Can this 2x4 be removed without doing anything else? If no, can I install a smaller support (either a 2X4 or use 3/4” plywood angle wedge notched at the top) and remove the larger, lower 2X4? Thoughts?

I would only be removing the one closest to the camera. I noticed not all the roof trusses have a horizontal 2X4 at the bottom which is why I’m wondering if I can remove.

Thanks in advance for the assist. IMG_2057.JPGIMG_2061.JPG

That is not trusses. That is a stick framed roof.
That is not a temporary support. That is a collar tie. It is holding the roof together from splitting open at the peak during severe weather.

IMG_1627.JPG,

Thank you for the information. Ok I found the attached. My question is can I install a 2x4 or a triangle 3/4” plywood brace at the top of roof frame to hold it together or do I need to keep the existing 2X4 brace where it is located.

IMG_1627.JPG

This is what I’m looking to do, raise it up. Now that I know it’s called a collar tie, I’m finding all kinds of information. Thanks again.

Also looking to see if using ridge straps will allow the removal of one.

I had a low support that whenever I went into my attic, I'd smack my head on that dumb collar tie. I took a sawzall, cut off about 18" of it, and threw in about 6 screws on each side, raising the height to quit smacking my noggin on it.

Maybe if you sistered the rafters, perhaps on both sides, added extra high wind type of reinforcing metal ties at the ends and all connections, and moved the shortened collar tie up a little higher, as havasu said he had done?

Just an idea, but maybe consulting a structural engineer would be worth it?

Especially if you get heavy winter snow, and also big summer wind storms.

Yes, you can move it up higher. Plywood gusset as you suggested would also work.

if it were mine, i would not remove. don't know how deep/long your space is, if its longer than the pic then maybe move the tie back one rafter and add a tie to the rafter in front of the one you remove. be careful as snow load and any live load will try to push your side walls out/the ridge will drop. and that equals trouble. a 3/4" plywd gusset at the top will not be large enough and in the correct spot to resist snow/dead/live loads.

The rule on collar ties is anywhere in the top 1/3 of the rafter.
The ceiling joist are running in the wrong directions so a board that is running side to side is holding the outer walls from splaying out.

Back