Supports?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevbo

Reaction score
I had a new deck installed last year. It's raised up a bit, and I want to clean out the underneath, as it was left a mess. 2 of the posts have these "supports" attached to them. None of the other posts do, and they honestly don't seem to be doing much - the wood isn't that sturdy. Can I remove these? They're a bit of an eyesore.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_1523.jpg

Looks like the supports to hold the posts plumb while concrete set up?
That would be my guess as well. If anything you'd want a Z or X brace going from post to post. Those look like temporary bracing.

Around here, I would not be able to use 4x4 for posts. I'd need to use 6x6 and the posts would be notched to support the beams, in addition to being through bolted.

If your deck sheeting is spaced and not placed tightly together, you have no diaphragm shear, and over time with traffic the deck will began to shift, so when you remove those, replace them with one on each side of the post, from the base, diagonally to the floor joists.

Thanks for the feedback! I was able to get in touch with the builder, and as stated, they were temporary to keep the post plumb - they were supposed to be removed upon completion. Thanks again!

I'm with Sparky on this one, it would never pass an inspection around here.
Any so called builder that left all that trash like that gives everyone a bad name.
Please post some pictures of the rest of the deck, if they failed this simple deck building 101 part there has to be other stuff they missed.

The deck turned out nice, and did pass inspection, but the over all process, and condition the yard/area was left was pretty poor. Needless to say I will not be using that contractor again.

Latest posts

Back