Switches, outlets and lights... help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastergrego

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I need some help. Found your forum while searching for a solution for my electrical circuit.
I'm trying to draw a diagram to plan an electrical installation in my backyard shed. I want to have 1 light on switch #1, and 2 lights on switch #2. Plus I have built a workbench a I would like to install 2 outlets on a nearby wall. Outlets are not controlled by switch.
I have made several drawings but I can't figure it out. I remember doing this in high school... but it's been a while now!

Thnaks for your help!
David

David: Your wiring needs are not complicated. From your power feed you'd directly supply the paralleled bench outlets, black (hot) feed wire to each dark (or brass) screw and white (neutral) wire to the white screws. For the lights, each switch picks up the hot side and its other terminal wires out to the lamp's hot side terminal (center connection if incadescent). For the two-lamp setup, just wire them in parallel. If you need more info, I can send attachment with diagram.

Your library probably has a book on basic home wiring - I'd look there or pick up a book at Home Depot or other source.

Thanks locknut, seems simple indeed. As I can see I'll have to run a wire from my outlets back to the switches. Or even better I'm gonna install my switches on the wall over the bench with a safety light.

Do I need GFCI outlets ?

Thank for the hint travelover. The reason for my searches an post is that I couldn't find a satisfying diagram in the book I already had (published by Black & Decker). Those people seem to like 3-way circuits a lot...

Have a nice day guys and thanks again!

I'd prefer using a GFCI outlet. (With the remaining outlets wired from it.)

Back