T1-11 installed at a 45?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussD

Reaction score
Hey all, first post on this site :)
I bought a home that was built in 79. The siding appears to be T1-11, but is at a 45 degree angle. It has wood rot and needs replaced. Fortunately,the area that is bad is not too big.
My question is this, A. Might it not be T1-11? When I remove, can I reinstall T1-11 at an angle (45 degree)?

Siding.JPG

That is just board likely shiplap. I would find something else if you really like the angle. You would have lot's of waste out of sheet stock, if you could make it fit at all It would have top be less the 4 ft wide.

I'd agree with Neal, it looks like wood shiplap and you can see the knots in parts of it. If that is the only panel with the siding on the 45 I'd probably opt to replace it with something from the cement fiber family and not go on the 45. That was kind of the all the rage back in the late 1970's and 1980's. Not so much anymore.

Yup, that is plain boarding, not T-111. I also agree in using either a fiber cement or PVC product to replace it.

Dave Mason

Hey all, been on a long motorcycle trip and just got back home to my computer. Not all the house has this siding, but a large enough portion does that I desire to match. Was not familiar with shiplap, but have since educated myself. Present intention is to buy wood and use a table saw to make some replacement boards to replace the existing rotted stuff on two small sections in front of the house.

I see fiber cement or PVC product recommendations. Can they be cut to look similar to existing (would replace floor to ceiling in both sections)?

I see fiber cement or PVC product recommendations. Can they be cut to look similar to existing (would replace floor to ceiling in both sections)?

PVC (Azak or Kleer, etc.) would be your best choice....and it will never rot.

Dave Mason

I’m basically cheap and quite a few times I have run T1-11 thru the table saw and ripped it to make boards. Material usage is much higher that way.

What about cottage lap siding in 8"OC? It comes in 16 foot pieces. Wouldn't that work on the 45?

Latest posts

Back