Tankless water heater - output selection and wire question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd1028

Reaction score
Hi! I have a Stiebel Eltron DHC-E 8/10 tankless water heater. The questions I have are about adjusting the output - it appears it is wired different if I do this? Do I understand correctly? I've never installed a water heater like this one.

Pictures attached - you can see the options. I am thinking 8.3kw option. It will be connected to a multitap, which is connected to a 40 AMP GFCI Square D Breaker. There's also an oven connected to the multitap; hence the multitap. I really don't have a choice, for various reasons of considerable expense and time. I live alone, and am perfectly capable of not running hot water while running an oven - water heater's disconnect will be pulled most of the time. I'm a single older guy, not exactly cooking the day away, I mostly use a rice cooker and a toaster oven lol. The house will be torn down in a year or so, due to vastly increased commercial value. There is no inspector. The electric service is 100% new from the pole to the outlets, Jan 2019.

I'd really like to have some hot water. I just don't want it to ground out improperly, etc., something flat out unsafe. And am unsure about the setting / wiring changes required by changing the settings.

Attachments

• 20220312_192646.jpg
    20220312_192646.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220312_191912.jpg
    20220312_191912.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220312_192425.jpg
    20220312_192425.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 5
Thinking that your oven wiring will dictate which option you should be using.

Given what you have told us that the house will be torn down shortly and you have no use for the oven, I would disconnect the oven totally and then use that circuit for the water heater. That should simplify the hookup, as there would be no concern as to the oven circuit.

I don't understand the pictorial but am assuming the water heater is designed such that it can be wired for US or European use. In the the US it would be wired to LL and chassis ground. I think your question regards the coding plug which apparently selects 8/10 KW. I think your wiring and breaker supports the 8KW stage 1 output selection.

Back