Telescopic Poles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krich

Reaction score
I may be needing to erect a Telescopic Pole above the trees for an Internet Receiver

If anyone knows where to find heavy duty Telescopic Poles that have a max reach up to 60 or 70 feet, please let me know.

Thanks! Not sure I'd be able to spend several thousand dollars on the project though.... But, they do have some really nice towers!

The internet company I'll be working with has 50 foot telescopic poles for $300 but they are kept in place by wires and they will only mount it on the side of a house.

I guess I'll need to go that route unless of course I win the lottery, then I'd definitely go with a motorized tower from Tashjian Towers

They not only have towers, they have the mono poles you are looking for.

I looked at the price list, I'm with Krich, they are pretty spendy.... 1 40 footer is over $10K a 60 footer is over $16K. Glad Google ran fiber down my street so I have a choice of three providers Spectrum over Coax, AT&T and Google over Fiber.

Wow, three options! Are you out in a rural area?

That's where I'm at and the company that needs their receiver on the pole is the only one out here that has decent internet speed.

Tomorrow is the big day they come out to test using a temp 50 foot pole they raise up from the back of their service truck for testing to see if that is high enough for their receiver to get a signal from their tower which is about 2 miles away.

Their system is like a radio wave signal going into a small receiver that looks kinda like a satellite dish. It's what we use now nd it works pretty well. W#e can have 2 TVs streeming at the same time without buffering so that's what counts right?

Wow, three options! Are you out in a rural area?

That's where I'm at and the company that needs their receiver on the pole is the only one out here that has decent internet speed.

Tomorrow is the big day they come out to test using a temp 50 foot pole they raise up from the back of their service truck for testing to see if that is high enough for their receiver to get a signal from their tower which is about 2 miles away.

Their system is like a radio wave signal going into a small receiver that looks kinda like a satellite dish. It's what we use now nd it works pretty well. W#e can have 2 TVs streeming at the same time without buffering so that's what counts right?
No I live in a "town" of around 160,000. For whatever reason they like to think of our city as a town despite going from around 7500 in the 1970s to 160K today. My subdivision is about 24 years old. AT&T came with fiber about 6 years ago, followed by Google about 3 years ago. Spectrum (Time Warner) has been here since the subdivision was built. We were one of the markets Google decided to build out with their fiber project. I may be getting a Verizon 5G home internet device for my work laptop and phone. I work for Verizon and have been identified as a possible tester. 5G will be a viable primary internet connection, but rural areas are going to lag behind suburban and urban areas. It involves building a fiber network to support a lot more, albeit smaller, towers for 5G. The frequencies allow much faster speeds but don't travel as far as 4G. 5G transceivers can be mounted on telephone poles or street lights. The big advantage is we don't need to install anything into the home. Just ship a box to the customer and they plug it in.

Yeah, T-Moble is servicing the town by where we live, but I'm probably 3 to 5 miles outside of their service area.

And, I called Spectrum and they said service is available about 2000 feet from where I'm at.... but they have no plans at this time to expand out to my area... and they are houses all around but not in larger numbers like their would be in town

I still have Hughes net as my back up internet and will retain that once I move to the new property. You can barely stream on one TV withe those guys, but I can do email which is what I need for me home office.

Nah, I have a red blinking light to put on top so it's all good....

No, the internet company puts up these 50 foot poles in the area for other customers and it's only 50 feet so I doubt the FAA has any planes expected to fly this low.

If they are flying that low, we have other concerns to think about! eek2.gif

The FAA regulation is for towers over 200'. Back in the day, my employer MCI would keep towers below 200' unless absolutely necessary. It isn't just lights, the towers need painted red and white. Maintaining the lights and paint is no small expense to they try to avoid that whenever possible.

I have a wireless ISP. They mounted the receiver on a hickory tree on the east side of my property and trenced in double run of fiber and an ethernet cable for power from the house to the receiver. It's about 500' I suppose. It was a unique thing for them but it has worked pretty well in the 7 years since they did it. They charged me $500 for the install which I thought was a deal. It's up pretty high because there is a rail track next to it and the wanted to make sure it didn't go out if a train went by. Have any tall trees?

My last place was in a subdivision and we had 3 service options too. I miss some of those amenities that we had in town.

Back