The house I just moved into was built in the 1920s, the wiring upstairs is from the 1960s-70s so it does not have the 3rd grounding wire. I'm an electronic geek so I need to figure out a temporary way to run a new wire upstairs so I get the 3rd prong and my own circuit. Currently I have 2 100ft 16ga extension cords running down the laundry shute (we don't use it) to a new outlet I just installed (it's the only outlet on the breaker). Everything is working just fine, I'm just a little worried about the extension cords, they never get warm so I know they're not overloaded. Would I be better off running 14ga electrical wire and have an outlet in my computer room so I could ditch the extension cords all together? The only problem is I would have to use the same route as the extension cords so the wire would have to be on the outside of the walls, would this be any better/safer? Thanks in advance.