Terminating wires

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
This house had a hot tub outside.There is a dedicated breaker for it. Below the deck is the wires and a disconnect box. I think that some outdoor plugs are also off this run.

Without an electician doing it, what is a safe way to terminate the wires such that it is safe to turn on the power to the run and that the water/snow/ice does not corrode it?

Well, tell us more.
Are the conductors encased?
A. In what material?
Are you sure that there are in fact additional plug circuits and how many?
A. How are those conductors encased?

Well, tell us more.
Are the conductors encased?
A. In what material?
Are you sure that there are in fact additional plug circuits and how many?
A. How are those conductors encased?
It looks like BX wire that is encased in a rubber coating.

I am not sure, but they are the only things not working in our house and that is the only breaker that is off.

Well, it's not snowing, so turn the breaker on, and test.

Well, since you don't want to test for viability, how long have the circuits been there and when was the last time they were active?

As I'm not familiar with plastic coated BX, could you provide a photo, including any present terminations, and associated "J" boxes?

Well, since you don't want to test for viability, how long have the circuits been there and when was the last time they were active?

As I'm not familiar with plastic coated BX, could you provide a photo, including any present terminations, and associated "J" boxes?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=outd...gBkQGSAQMwLjGYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz
Something like that.

I do not know how long it has been there and I do not know how long since it was shut off. I think it was shut off simply due to them getting rid of the hot tub.

SO, a store post, is an actual substitute for an on-site photo, really!

So, how about some actually on-site photos and "J" boxes?

swimmer_spe
I agree with snoonyb. If you want good and accurate advice it is best you provide some actual pictures instead of a store/item link. We would rather not guess and give you incorrect advice.

Not that it matters much but based on the link from the OP, they may be "up north"!? Like @Snoonyb said, we really need some pics to see what you are working on.

If, in fact, there are multiple circuits in the "box" there would have to be 2+ breakers. A hot tub would be a minimum 40A (more likely, 50A) breaker and, if up to current code, the other feed would be 20A.

If there is only one breaker in the sub/disconnect then the other, outdoor, outlets are not run from that box.

From what we know so far a hot tub disconnect outside will be a GFCI disconnect and may have one or two breakers depending on the manufacture of the tub. Mine has two one for the heater 20a and one for the rest of the pumps and stuff 30a. So it is possible when they removed the tub someone went off the 20a side for some outdoor outlets.

The GFCI disconnect should not be under a deck unless it is easily accessible from where the hot tub was but not so close it could be reached from inside the tub. Code says 5’+ and in a line of sight with the tub.

If the tub was properly removed the wires should have been removed inside the disconnect and the wire taken out with the tub. The wrong way would be to leave the wires and have them wire nutted or taped up where the tub was. If the wires are not there then the only thing that should have been done is the knock out hole where they exited the disconnect should have had a cap installed.

With the main breaker feeding the disconnect turned off you can open the box and remove the safety panel and then take a picture of the guts and we can tell you what you have.

Not that it matters much but based on the link from the OP, they may be "up north"!? Like @Snoonyb said, we really need some pics to see what you are working on.

If, in fact, there are multiple circuits in the "box" there would have to be 2+ breakers. A hot tub would be a minimum 40A (more likely, 50A) breaker and, if up to current code, the other feed would be 20A.

If there is only one breaker in the sub/disconnect then the other, outdoor, outlets are not run from that box.

... I'll crawl under the deck.

From what we know so far a hot tub disconnect outside will be a GFCI disconnect and may have one or two breakers depending on the manufacture of the tub. Mine has two one for the heater 20a and one for the rest of the pumps and stuff 30a. So it is possible when they removed the tub someone went off the 20a side for some outdoor outlets.

The GFCI disconnect should not be under a deck unless it is easily accessible from where the hot tub was but not so close it could be reached from inside the tub. Code says 5’+ and in a line of sight with the tub.

If the tub was properly removed the wires should have been removed inside the disconnect and the wire taken out with the tub. The wrong way would be to leave the wires and have them wire nutted or taped up where the tub was. If the wires are not there then the only thing that should have been done is the knock out hole where they exited the disconnect should have had a cap installed.

With the main breaker feeding the disconnect turned off you can open the box and remove the safety panel and then take a picture of the guts and we can tell you what you have.

Will do.

OP is describing Seal Tight conduit. Used for outdoor/moisture resistant, wet location applications.
Turn off the breaker and remove it from the panel, it doesn't have the right specs to be reused for anything. Use the space for a couple of 20A circuits/outlets.

OP is describing Seal Tight conduit. Used for outdoor/moisture resistant, wet location applications.
Turn off the breaker and remove it from the panel, it doesn't have the right specs to be reused for anything. Use the space for a couple of 20A circuits/outlets.
What specs would be wrong for re-purposing?

I’m assuming it is the 50a current rating and downstream having 20a outlets protected by it.
The 50a current rating wouldn't be a problem if fed by a properly sized breaker. I guess the only problem might be whether it's configured as a branch circuit or sub panel.

Our plan is to get a hot tub one day, so really, this is just a long term temporary thing till we get one.

Our plan is to get a hot tub one day, so really, this is just a long term temporary thing till we get one.
Sounds like your wired so you can't have 120V 20A outlets unless you power the 240V 50A circuit. I'd remove the load leads for the 50A so nothing to worry about (wrie nuts, electrical tape, corrosion, etc).
Post a pic if you can.

Sounds like your wired so you can't have 120V 20A outlets unless you power the 240V 50A circuit. I'd remove the load leads for the 50A so nothing to worry about (wrie nuts, electrical tape, corrosion, etc).
Post a pic if you can.

I'll post a picture when it drys out. We just had a good rainstorm blow through and it will be quite wet under there.

Back