Termites ate sheetrock paper

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Fortunately, most of it is localized around the back door. Before I tear out these areas and replace them, is there a reasonable way to repair the surface?

Attachments

• termite damage 1.jpg
    termite damage 1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 11
  • termite damage 2.jpg
    termite damage 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 11
I'm thinking if they are eating the exposed paper they are into what is behind it. Rip it all out and see what you are dealing with.

Termites are long gone - this is all old damage I am finally getting around to fixing.
How do you know the condition of the wood behind it. For as easy as it is to put new drywall up I wouldn't try fixing old.

Fear of opening up a can of worms?
You could be right. I have opened so many cans of worms in my life I sometimes forget the fear of it. Most of the time I see cans of worms left hidden is when people contract someone and finding a deeper problem is not something they are prepared to handle. So not knowing is not knowing. Before I bought my first home we used to rent and when fixing up a dump we rented cheap I was pretty good with painting over duct tape repairs and such. Always had landlords that said I’ll buy the paint if you do the work. :coffee:

Fear of opening up a can of worms?
You nailed it.
For repair, I am concerned that, if I try just using drywall mud and some tape to smooth over the damage, the mud may not stick. Plus I am not so good at drywall in a tight corner. Any ideas or should I just bite the bullet?

You nailed it.
For repair, I am concerned that, if I try just using drywall mud and some tape to smooth over the damage, the mud may not stick. Plus I am not so good at drywall in a tight corner. Any ideas or should I just bite the bullet?
Only way you get better at drywall repair is jumping in and doing it. Watch some YouTube videos, get the proper tools and have at it. One thing I've learned over the years is never apply more mud than you absolutely need. It's easier applying more than sanding off excess.

If it is termites, how do you know they are “long gone”?
There was a bunch of subterranean termite tubes on interior side of the foundation directly below this spot. I had this location, and all other areas where there was an exterior slab against the foundation, treated. Since then, each year I do a thorough inspection interior and exterior.

If you want to make it look good and are ok with not knowing what is behind, I would start with a scraper and trim off anything lose. Then give it a coat or two of Kilz2 primer to stop bleed thru of any staining. Then use a 10-12” drywall knife feather a skim coat on where needed, let dry, sand, repeat. When it is looking good another coat of the Kilz2 and then your paint.

In a kitchen I like gloss or semi gloss latex.

Back