Termites in firewood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Housezero

Reaction score
Hi,

There is a pile of firewood at my back yard under my deck and is infested by termites. It is not in the house as far as I know since the house was treated last year for termite infection. The firewoods are directly contact with soil and this is from the previous owner left here with the house. I have been burning the woods and as I removing layer of woods I can see termites running down another layer to the bottom. The firewood is about 8-9 feet away from the house. So my question is if I keep burning the wood, do I suppose to treat the termites? Or I need to find someone professional to do the job. Should I just burn all the wood and leave the termites along? Not sure if they are going to die naturally as no source of food..... I have attached a picture, there were basically 3 row/piles of firewoods, as I have been burning, the 1st and 2nd row closer to the house are almost gone and the 1st row has firewood rack which is better. But there are definitely termites under the 2nd row firewood which I only have 1 layer left.

Any insights or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 9.49.38 PM.png

I would spray the heck out of it and wait a week and then pile it up in the back yard and burn it. Then i would treat the ground at least around that area.

Chances are they haven't found the house yet but don't give them a chance.

I agree with Bud. Move the wood, burn the wood, take it to the dump. It should never be stacked in direct contact to the ground. Why invite trouble?

If you treat the wood with insecticide, don't burn it. And if you aren't going to burn it, then there is no reason to keep it. So why bother treating it? Just dispose of it.

If you choose to burn it, throw it on an already hot fire so the termites don't have a chance to escape. In any case, move the wood away from the house and raise it off the ground. Two cinder blocks and a couple of 2x4's are all you need to make a firewood rack

Are you sure they are termites? Termites are whitish and usually not found on the surface of wood.

Post a picture of your termites.

Termites are tiny and white, or tan, and look kind of like a tiny lobster.

Maybe you have carpenter ants?

They are bigger and black.

Back