Termites

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody recently have their homes treated for termites.

What is the cost? I have heard the company that does the treatment will try to sell you a lot of bs and the best thing is get the lowest package offered. Anybody got experiences with this subject.

Last summer I saw termites (white like creature) for the first time on the floor of the shed. Before I went to get some insect spray, they left very fast. The shed is about 10 feet away from house.

I am in socal.

Thanks,
Tony

Being in Ca you have big issues.
I have inspectors in Ca who talk about houses with serious damage after only a month.
Not trying to give you a scare, just the longer you wait ,the the more damage occurs.
Doing inspections I have learned one thing, do your homework. Talk to local realtors in the area or home inspectors, they will only use the best ones on thier own homes.:) And they have plenty of experience with the way they work.
Good luck.

A friend of mine had problems with carpenter ants, much like your problem with termites which can cause as much damage to a structure. It started in her shed as well and ended up in her home.

If you have termites in your shed you may want to take precuations so that they don't end up in your home as well.
Termites are ever determined in their pursuit of food - they can eat up your house, and your furniture! This insect generally feeds on approximately 2.3 linear feet of a 2 x 4 of wood per year. A colony of termites, which ranges from a few hundred to a few million, can cause major property damage.

Below are some tips to help you protect your home from termites:

Check for wood touching the ground. Regularly inspect wooden structures, and remember to store wood on a tarp, not on damp soil.

Check for water leaks. Inspect your home for water seepage. This is not always easy, so you might want to hire an inspector to investigate for you.

Check the foundation. Inspect your home’s foundation to make sure that there is no water accumulation near it; this will also help avoid future repair work to the foundation. Do not store your firewood on the ground against the foundation.

Check with local pest control companies. Many pest control companies offer a free investigation of your property for termites. They will point out the risks around your property, provide you with important information, and may suggest preventative measures. Give them a call and inquire. The bottom line is prevention.

Good luck!

I've lived in my house for over 20 years. In that time half of my neighbors had to have their house's treated for Termites. Last summer I noticed a couple of small mud tubes coming up from the ground and heading into the walls of my attached garage. I had my property treated. The only thing that the termite company will try to sell u on is a insurance contract. Buy it its worth its cost. The treatment for my house cost just under $2k. The insurance contract says if you get termites in the next 5 years, they will retreat the property for free. The major reason to get the insurance is that you will never kill all of the termites, they usually move on. And when somebody else's property gets treated they may come back to your house.

I definitely suggest you get some professional pest control people to take a look at it. Get plenty of estimates to make sure you get the best price.

Latest posts

Back