Tesla Achilles Heel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking more of the 1200 lb battery being the hazard with it's inertia in an accident though stopping distance may be a problem too.
On the model 3 when it was first released it was 7' longer than the Ford F-150, they made some changes and improved it by 20'.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...-gets-cr-recommendation-after-braking-update/
60-0 times:
The Mach-E is 109 feet
The Model Y is 118 feet

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang-mach-e/2021/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-first-test-review/
The Honda Accord (Hybrid) takes 116 to go 60-0.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/accord-hybrid/2021/2021-honda-accord-hybrid-first-test-review/

I'm up in North Carolina in the Charlotte area and all of the gas stations are out of gas here because of the shutdown of the pipeline. I couldn't get any gas today for my F-150 anywhere. I down to less than 1/4 tank and I'm worried that I might take the truck out and not be able to get it back because there is no gas. I'm going to drive my Electric Chevy Bolt to the job-sites this week. Won't be hauling a whole lot, but loaded some tools and essentials in it this evening.

Good Luck, Bob. There is some stations in Charlotte saying they have gas...

https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=charlotte&fuel=1&maxAge=0&method=
As far as the hack, It has the Chinese written all over it, both in the element of DUH and with the Biden admin refusing to take action. They can't take action against their friendly partner, even though they are a brutal enemy of the United States.

CPT OBVIOUS.jpg

It's a private company that is responsive for thier own network security. Why is it the governments responsibility? Just like when the virus hit, everyone wanted to blame the government for the lack of PPE. Hospitals are private companies responsible to determine their own PPE needs as well as the companies that make the PPE. A private company wants the government to leave them alone to operate....until it hits the fan. Then it's the government's fault and they should be doing something. They know who hacked the pipeline network, they have demanded ransom. It's money extortion deal plain and simple. So are you saying the government should be more involved it these private for profit businesses? I'm not so sure.

I don't care whether the private company wants to be babysat or not. When it's a matter of National Security, the Government has to step in. In this instance, it's just a test by China to see how far they can push Biden, which would be until there is no power grid at all because the entire Democrat party is in bed LITERALLY with China.

Russia could also push Biden around since he's an absolute joke, but under a leader like President Trump, Russia knows they would be waxed in a few days. China is a different story.

A big challenge facing getting EVs into as many driveways as they'd like is going to be the lithium and rare earth problem. Building new lithium mines is not exactly popular with the locals and environmentalist. Every "solution" brings its own environmental problem. Unless we can figure out how to extract lithium from sea water it will involve a big hole in the ground and more waste than actual product. Not sure it is even in sea water, just pointing out that it is mined.

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/202...tric-cars-could-wipe-out-this-species-n389095
"Electric vehicles can’t happen without lithium — and a lot of it. Lithium is a critical mineral in the batteries that power electric vehicles. The world will need to mine 42 times as much lithium as was mined in 2020 if we will meet the climate goals set by the Paris Agreement, according to the International Energy Agency. Existing mines and projects under construction will meet only half the demand for lithium in 2030, the agency said.

The United States has only one active lithium mine today. The country will need 500,000 metric tons of lithium carbonate equivalent by 2030, according to research by RK Equity, a New York firm that advises investors on lithium. The entire global lithium carbonate equivalent market last year was 325,000 metric tons, RK Equity partner Howard Klein told CNN Business."

There is no shortage of lithium. It is a very common metal. But a handful of companies control the great majority of its production, so Elon would like to see more competition. And actually, there is not a heck of a lot of Lithium used in a Lithium ion battery. In South America, they just pump brine onto an open field, and wait for the water to evaporate --- its hard to compete with that cost structure with big equipment digging a hundred feet underground and then milling and processing the ore -- that's why you see few lithium mines up here.

Some of the other metals in a lithium ion battery are pretty expensive (such as cobalt, nickel, manganese , but there are many possible chemistries to use in a lithium ion battery, and there is constant development of better, cheaper chemistries. So think twice before buying stock in that cobalt mine --- right now the chemistry using cobalt is considered best for most applications, but you could wake up tomorrow morning and somebody has come up with a chemistry that uses no cobalt and works just as good for those applications.

Elon isn't the only one wanting lithium and the rare earth metals required. As the link points out we need to significantly ramp up world wide production to meet the demands. If we don't mine it here we're going to have to import it, and some of it from countries with very loose environmental laws and child labor laws. So we can protect our backyards, but that is just exporting the pollution elsewhere.

I'm not against EVs, and will likely buy one for our next vehicle, though it probably won't be for a few years. We tend to keep cars for the long haul and only replace after they are 10+ years old. The newest car in the fleet is a 2014, the oldest my 1999 F-150 that isn't a daily driver. It mainly makes trips to Lowe's and the garden center for stuff I don't want to throw into the Edge or won't fit.

Filled up with gas yesterday... no shortage here in N.W. Ohio... but price is up ~$1/gallon from Trump days... been rising over past 4 months... a fillup has gone from $30s up to $60 now...

Filled up with gas yesterday... no shortage here in N.W. Ohio... but price is up ~$1/gallon from Trump days... been rising over past 4 months... a fillup has gone from $30s up to $60 now...
The Colonial Pipeline supplies the SE USA. It shouldn't have any impact on NW Ohio. Part of the price rise is due to seasonal changes in the fuel blends, increased driving with COVID easing and nicer weather. My driving hasn't really changed, but I've been WFH for 12 years. I fill up once a month in normal times.

I fill up about once per month, usually only 8-10 gallons. I think my tank holds 11.5 gallons and mileage is around 34-38 mpg.

The Colonial Pipeline supplies the SE USA. It shouldn't have any impact on NW Ohio.

Gov. NitWhitmer in Michigan is trying to shutdown a pipeline that will probably further effect us just below them in Ohio... And, of course, Jomentia shut down the Keystone Pipeline... and wants to add a big tax on vehicles...

Gov. NitWhitmer in Michigan is trying to shutdown a pipeline that will probably further effect us just below them in Ohio... And, of course, Jomentia shut down the Keystone Pipeline... and wants to add a big tax on vehicles...
Getting to Carbon-Free nirvana is not going to be quick, cheap, or easy. Wait until all the green weenies figure out how big a mess mining for rare earth metals and lithium creates. Oil and gas exploration has a relatively light foot print. Transporting the product can be done via pipelines. Ores, not so much. Mining creates a lot of waste, water pollution, and destroys landscapes.

Getting to Carbon-Free nirvana is not going to be...

Since we're mostly water and carbon, I guess the last step is finishing getting rid of us "carbon-units"... maybe the Covid mRNA shots have already begun that process...

Since we're mostly water and carbon, I guess the last step is finishing getting rid of us "carbon-units"... maybe the Covid mRNA shots have already begun that process...
The world could probably benefit from a couple of billion fewer humans. I'm volunteering and don't expect anyone else to do so either. Getting there will be a generational thing and we're already seeing it in Japan, Western Europe, and to a lesser extent the USA and Canada with the less than replacement birthrates. Where we're not seeing it is in the developing world. Getting there will have a profound impact to the economy since it is built on growth. Social Security depends on more people paying in than taking out, we're about to get to a two-to-one worker to beneficiary ratio.

The world could probably benefit from a couple of billion fewer humans. I'm volunteering and don't expect anyone else to do so either.

China is obviously the king of getting their population growth under control so they can stay within their own borders. They ask city families to limit to one child, rural families needing help around the farm to limit to 2 kids. Have another kid if the first one dies in childhood.
Opposing this is the religion industry which gets all of its new customers from childbirth to existing religious families now since most areas no longer allow the forcing of religions on people at spear, sword, arrow, club, fire, or gun point...

I don't get the line 5 issue in Michigan. I understand the environmental risk and agree its in a bad spot but they have offered to tunnel under the straights but Governor Goofball flat out refuses. My SIL's job will disappear if they close that line down. The Keystone XL, it's just an extension of an existing line and has never pumped oil. Don't see how that could increase gas prices other than speculation, which I what drove gas to $4 back when. It's just a political thing.

I did see there is renewed research on a charging lane to charge EV's on the fly. It's years away but that would solve a lot of the range problem.

I did see there is renewed research on a charging lane to charge EV's on the fly. It's years away but that would solve a lot of the range problem.

I see quickly swappable batteries in 4 or 5 standard sizes/shapes/connections as the easiest solution... drop depleted battery out of bottom of vehicle, shove another properly recharged one up and in, and drive off for another 200 miles...

Maybe the future is a 4 door EV pickup with the battery in the short bed. And maybe lose the unnecessary giant high-rise look that seems to be in vogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back