Tesla Achilles Heel

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Sparky617

Reaction score

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Battery weight and charge time are still prime issues. Batteries with 10 minute charge times are in the works but current charging stations can't handle that. It is expected that batteries with 390 mile capacity and 10 minute charge time might be doable within a few years. Now is not the time to purchase an EV unless you believe in expendables. They are talking about recycling vehicle and battery after 13 years. My GEO Prism is 2x that age, still delivers 30-40 mpg and has a street value of less than $1K. There's no EV in my future.

Guzzle

Reaction score
The NYT is after Tesla for promising driverless-car abilities that aren't here yet.

One bad solder joint in these 4000 lb vehicles & pedestrians gonna' be toast & Mr. Musk is not liable.

Snoonyb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They do recommend that you pay attention.

There are, cord cooling tech. that allows for rapid short term charging, however, it also debilitates the present predominate battery structure.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
That was my thought too. I'm a big race fan and a few years ago the started the Formula E series. First time I saw a race I thought cool they will develop a lot of technology from this. Waited for the first pit stop, I thought they would have quick swap batteries of some sort. Big disappointment, the drive just changed cars. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.
That is the answer! The government can take over vehicle ownership and we just exchange them when battery reaches the minimum level. All vehicles can be the same design (as it is with communist housing projects). NASCAR can be eliminated saving a lot of energy.

Sparky617

Reaction score
I believe Israel had a EV design that used interchangeable batteries that allowed for a quick swap. Tesla toyed with it for a while. The way they are building the batteries into the car won't allow for that today. I think private enterprise is the way to go. Government housing worked so well (that's sarcasm BTW).

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I believe Israel had a EV design that used interchangeable batteries that allowed for a quick swap. Tesla toyed with it for a while. The way they are building the batteries into the car won't allow for that today. I think private enterprise is the way to go. Government housing worked so well (that's sarcasm BTW).
My post was sarcasm as well. I recall a bumper sticker from decades ago,

IF YOU LIKE OUR POSTAL SERVICE YOU WILL LOVE OUR NATIONAL HEALTH CARE

Guzzle

Reaction score
My lost flip phone was found & the provider did nothing what they seemed to say they would do & my choice now is to keep the thing & use up the money or drive a roofing nail thru the heart of this Satanic Device after I cook it with my propane torch & run it thru my table saw with my diamond blade mounted.

But I might take out the battery first.

And a woman leaving the market looked at me in a very appealing way. It's hard to put a dollar value on that. :)

Sparky617

Reaction score
My lost flip phone was found & the provider did nothing what they seemed to say they would do & my choice now is to keep the thing & use up the money or drive a roofing nail thru the heart of this Satanic Device after I cook it with my propane torch & run it thru my table saw with my diamond blade mounted.

But I might take out the battery first.

And a woman leaving the market looked at me in a very appealing way. It's hard to put a dollar value on that. :)
We went to a concert last week and the only option for tickets was on the app. No printouts, no physical tickets. It is becoming a necessity of modern life to have a smart phone. We traded in the smart phone my daughter and nieces got my now 90 year old FIL and opted for a flip phone. He'd touch the screen in the wrong place and close whatever app he was in, it was an exercise in frustration. It would be handy if he could work a smart phone so he could use UBER when my wife can't transport him to an appointment. His senior apartment complex will take him if it is scheduled on the "right" day.

Guzzle

Reaction score
We're being played. :(
And it's too late for me to set up something in the Alaskan wilderness. :)

Some restaurants around here will not take paper money, even tho it is "legal tender for all debts public & private", etc.

The phone for now is wrapped in tin foil, which should make inaccessible via the air waves, it's my own ungrounded Faraday Cage.

Last edited:

Latest posts