Tesla Achilles Heel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tesla Achilles heel is owning Tesla stock right now. Talk about a blood bath because Elon stopped taking Bitcoin for payment.

I see quickly swappable batteries in 4 or 5 standard sizes/shapes/connections as the easiest solution... drop depleted battery out of bottom of vehicle, shove another properly recharged one up and in, and drive off for another 200 miles...
That was my thought too. I'm a big race fan and a few years ago the started the Formula E series. First time I saw a race I thought cool they will develop a lot of technology from this. Waited for the first pit stop, I thought they would have quick swap batteries of some sort. Big disappointment, the drive just changed cars. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.

China is obviously the king of getting their population growth under control so they can stay within their own borders. They ask city families to limit to one child, rural families needing help around the farm to limit to 2 kids. Have another kid if the first one dies in childhood.
Opposing this is the religion industry which gets all of its new customers from childbirth to existing religious families now since most areas no longer allow the forcing of religions on people at spear, sword, arrow, club, fire, or gun point...
China is having problems with their one child policy. They have an abundance of young men without the ability to marry Chinese women because so many were aborted because the parents wanted a boy. Japan is leading the world on personal care robots because they need robots to handle tasks that they don't have people to do. Japan is quickly graying as a nation.

That was my thought too. I'm a big race fan and a few years ago the started the Formula E series. First time I saw a race I thought cool they will develop a lot of technology from this. Waited for the first pit stop, I thought they would have quick swap batteries of some sort. Big disappointment, the drive just changed cars. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.
I thought the Israelis were doing this already. It is a neat idea, go with a standard battery pack that can be dropped out the bottom of the car in 5 minutes or less. Everyone leases the battery rather than owning it, takes away the range anxiety problem and the concern that you've got a working car with batteries that won't hold a charge. Try buying replacement batteries for a Nissan Leaf these days. They are charging more than the car is worth to swap out the batteries. I haven't looked recently but a few years ago you could get a 3 year old Leaf coming off lease for less than $10,000 US. They seem to be going for more now at least according to my search on carmax.com.

Yesterday I stopped to get a couple oil filters for my car and the guy asked me if I had the regular one or the EV? I said what’s the EV and he said its electric. I said I didn’t know electric cars needed oil filters, and he said oh right.
:rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel I have lived too long and I’m living in an alternative universe.

He gave me my two filters and I told him most places give me a little aluminum washer for the drain plug with the filter. He said oh we have those they are in the back on a rack. So I walk back in the store and there they are one aluminum washer in a plastic hang box $8.95. I told him I will flip my old one over.

He was probably thinking of a plug in hybrid (which would have an engine).

I sometimes am surprised that people expect intelligent advise from a minimum wage kid, possibly hired last week, but figure he must know a lot because he works in the that department.

I find one of the few things that a dealership is best for is filter and gasket. They give you the correct gasket, and a lot of times at no charge. By the way, that gasket needs to be defect-free on both sides, so just flipping it over is not guaranteed to work.

Yesterday I stopped to get a couple oil filters for my car and the guy asked me if I had the regular one or the EV? I said what’s the EV and he said its electric. I said I didn’t know electric cars needed oil filters, and he said oh right.
:rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel I have lived too long and I’m living in an alternative universe.

He gave me my two filters and I told him most places give me a little aluminum washer for the drain plug with the filter. He said oh we have those they are in the back on a rack. So I walk back in the store and there they are one aluminum washer in a plastic hang box $8.95. I told him I will flip my old one over.
Did you replace these too?Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.02.35 PM.png

The Tesla design is neat if it weren't for the 7000 cell battery. A little focused plasma nuclear fusion generator would work wonders but we always seem to be 10 years away from fruition.

#111, Mr. T, to paraphrase Darth Vader, we've come full circle. :)

Instead of a dinghy you haul around a generator. When the gen runs dry and the car runs down and no one answers their cell phone, you are truly out of luck.

But don't forget the base rate:
"An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires . . . in the US during 2018."
Tesla might be ahead of the game.

Last edited:
There are also, reputed to be, some models that have incorporated a, wheels in motion, generating system that charges the battery as you drive.

Can't remember where I saw the article.

Wait just a minute · · · you can't invoke perpetual motion here.

Regenerative. Electric buses use it for braking. The DC motors pump current back into the batteries. It might save you some for city driving.

There are also, reputed to be, some models that have incorporated a, wheels in motion, generating system that charges the battery as you drive.

Can't remember where I saw the article.
Most use regenerative braking, and you can recharge while coasting down a hill but you can't generate and accelerate, climb or maintain a steady speed at the same time. Add a windmill, that'll work. /sarc.

Immediately brings to mind a propeller on a hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back