Tesla Achilles Heel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our SAM’s Club has a row of charging stations and they are a “mile” from the store. That seems like the logical place to put them.

How much do they charge?
I have no clue. I just see them sticking up with no cars around. Couple of small towns around here now have some down town. Again in the business district they might have 100 parking places and spent the money on two charging hookups. When and if it takes off I would think they would add a bunch more. Right now it is more of a feel good thing IMO.

Pulled a manual foot scooter out of the garbage pickup... thinking about converting it to electric... see a 24v electric motor with chain sprocket is $33... another $33 for two 12 volt batteries... have some small battery chargers around... also considering building a folding electric wheelchair scooter... in case I get where I can't walk much again...

looks like this is more about the culture wars than cars. iF right then gas if left then eclectic.

In my tenure, there have been three, "if we don't do something, the world will come to an end", and the latest is, pick a number between now and 2050.

But yesterday, that was updated to 2026.

Meanwhile, OPEC is saying that there isn't sufficient investment to meet the world demand.

And John-f-n-kerry, flies around the globe, at our expense.

A CA & a CO co's are testing solid state batteries for EV's but not for cold weather, hmmmmmm.

looks like this is more about the culture wars than cars. iF right then gas if left then eclectic.
It is not at all about a culture war for me. I’m open to any and all innovations that make life better and work well. The process of doing any task has to follow some sort of systematic plan. You don’t install the plumbing and electrical in a home before you do the framing and it is the same for developing a transportation infrastructure. When cars first came into being roads were dirt because that’s what horses were used to walking on. There will have to be similar evolution to EV only a higher tech evolution. Trillions and trillions of dollars went into the infrastructure of fossil fuels getting us to where we are today. In most cases adaptation takes a long time but will slowly move in the direction of the better way of doing something. It is painless when the need is there the rest follows. I think many feel the need is being manufactured rather than being allowed to actually present itself. That’s what causes a culture war and the end result slows progress rather than advances it.

I'll strongly consider an electric when I'm ready to buy a car. I can't see buying a new car just because gas is really expensive right now. I just don't drive that much and our cars are relatively new and low mileage. I'm not exactly a flaming liberal. For 99% of my driving range anxiety isn't a problem. I would probably only need to charge once every other week. With super chargers you can get a car to 80% in 20 minutes and be good for a couple of hundred miles. So even on a trip it wouldn't be a problem. My wife can't go a couple of hundred miles without a bathroom break. It would take a lot of gas to equal the monthly payment of a new car loan. With interest rates going up, I'll earn gas money on the money in the bank it would take to buy the car for cash. At this point I don't see us in the market for a new car for at least 3 years.

EV Towing remains a big challenge. But not a problem for me these days. When I was a Scoutmaster I towed the Troop trailer most months for up to a couple of hundred miles depending on the outing. Now if I tow, it is relatively short distances.

I’ve ask this a couple times on other sites, and never got an answer, maybe someone here knows... What voltage do these Charging Station deliver? 24V DC?... 48 V DC.... 110V AC?
You see these photos (Doctored?) of EV’s using a gasoline powered generator with an extension cord plugged into the car... is it really that simple?... NOT TRYING TO BE FUNNY, I honestly would like to know...

At home charging is via 120V or 240V, AC with several adapters available.

At home charging is via 120V or 240V, AC with several adapters available.
All home chargers that I know of use the onboard inverter to convert the AC to DC. With a 120VAC input charging takes quite awhile. I put in a 240V 50A circuit as part of my basement project. Friends that have EVs say they can top up in a few hours with that. Super chargers bypass the onboard inverter and give the car straight DC current and can charge them to 80% in about 20 minutes. Taking them from 80 - 100% slows considerably. They really don't recommend going to 100% on a regular basis.

I think that it will e at least another 5+ yers before this will all get settled out, just about the time when the batteries will need replacing.

I think that it will e at least another 5+ years before this will all get settled out, just about the time when the batteries will need replacing.
Hyundai is providing a 10 year warranty on their drive train including the battery pack on their Ioniq line of EVs. The motor vehicle manufacturers are going whole hog on EVs because they know they don't have a choice. The choice will only get better year over year on EVs. The prices will become more in line with ICE vehicles as capacity builds. Ford is discontinuing the Edge, my current car, and converting the only assembly plant that makes them for the global market to making EVs. Possibly the new Fusion as an EV, but that's just speculation. I do know from what I've read the 2023 model year will be the last for that model.

Even Honda and Toyota who were betting on hydrogen power are coming around to EVs. Hydrogen only makes sense if you can make it from H2O. Which requires a lot of electricity, it would be a great by-product of nuke power, but the greenies don't want that. Though it is IMHO the only carbon neutral baseload generation that can be built. Try getting a new dam approved in the USA today. I think hydrogen probably has a future in aviation fuel, maybe not in our lifetime though, as hydrocarbons will probably power airliners for the next 40 years.

It is not at all about a culture war for me. I’m open to any and all innovations that make life better and work well. The process of doing any task has to follow some sort of systematic plan. You don’t install the plumbing and electrical in a home before you do the framing and it is the same for developing a transportation infrastructure. When cars first came into being roads were dirt because that’s what horses were used to walking on. There will have to be similar evolution to EV only a higher tech evolution. Trillions and trillions of dollars went into the infrastructure of fossil fuels getting us to where we are today. In most cases adaptation takes a long time but will slowly move in the direction of the better way of doing something. It is painless when the need is there the rest follows. I think many feel the need is being manufactured rather than being allowed to actually present itself. That’s what causes a culture war and the end result slows progress rather than advances it.
the reason i posted this culture war is that hundreds of people are now vandalising teslas cars at will .
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tesla+cars+being+keyed+

Hyundai is providing a 10 year warranty on their drive train including the battery pack on their Ioniq line of EVs.

Ok, how much are replacement batteries? Here's an example for a Tesla. It makes buying a used Tesla absolutely impossible because even if the 4 year old Tesla is covered for a battery for 4 years or 6 or whatever, the odds of needing to replace it after that are real high.

Also for Tesla, if you let it discharge to dead or near dead, it voids the warranty... Texas anyone? When they were out of power for a week during that snowstorm a couple of years ago? Brand New Tesla for $68K worth nothing as far as a warranty.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...replacement-receipt-sharing-is-caring.222897/

I’ve ask this a couple times on other sites, and never got an answer, maybe someone here knows... What voltage do these Charging Station deliver? 24V DC?... 48 V DC.... 110V AC?
You see these photos (Doctored?) of EV’s using a gasoline powered generator with an extension cord plugged into the car... is it really that simple?... NOT TRYING TO BE FUNNY, I honestly would like to know...
I don't know, but this picture was doctored for sure:
tesla-jpg.27845

It's a cartoon I drew c.2015

My comments have nothing to do with "culture". It is all about having the freedom to make my own informed decisions.

Preserving the environment is very important and personally I'm in favor of a reward&penalty framework that incentivizes a transition towards a better status quo. However, the so-called "culture war" is being waged against people that want to eliminate free will. This notion that they know what's right, what the "right decision" should be, and be dammed anyone who disagrees or even advocates for a more measured transition approach... (to account for the uncertainty and incomplete understanding of the impact of these choices and the almost certainty that mistakes and corrections will be necessary.)

Thinking about this about as left vs right issue is overly simplistic, as is the idea that we know what the way forward should be. Extreme politics **on either side** are almost always bad. In fact, those people seem to have the exact same attitude, differing only in the "friends" that they need to benefit while having the tax payer foot the bill.

Apologies for the rant...

Back on topic, at the right price I think that EVs make perfect sense in many cases. I also think that many of the concerns people are voicing here make perfect sense. The point is that there isn't a one size fits all. For a house with only one car that needs to cover all basis, an hybrid might be the right choice. One option that is hardly ever discussed is natural gas (NG). It can be a drop-in conversion in current gas-powered vehicles and it has lower emissions. Plus, for converted cars, it has the ability to switch between NG and regular gas. I know that it is quite common in some other countries, and since US has so much of its own NG, it seems a good transition. Perhaps the leaks are a bit problem which, considering that NG is much worse than CO2 as a GHG, eliminate the gains, but I've be curious to known where that stands. Or maybe there isn't as much money to be made compared to asking people to buy new cars. If the latter case, then are we doing this for the money or to help the environment. How much of this is about "forcing" people to spend money that helps the politicians buddy's vs helping the environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back