Texas 40 yr roof: Should I replace or repair?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbf*moe0329

Reaction score
When we purchased our house in 2015, there were some missing shingles, but no signs of any damage that would indicate the roof needed replacement. The previous owner put installed a 40-year roof sometime over the past 15-20 years.

Over the past few years, we have had storms strong enough that I had the the roof checked, and still the response was there was not sufficient damage to replace it.

Over the past few weeks, i have had numerous roofers stop by to highlight that i once again have missing shingles, and urged me to file a claim. All indicating that they would be able to work the the insurance company to do a full replacement. We did have our house painted last year, and i know that activity took off a few of the shingles.

In an area where we have strong weather and hail, how long should I expect a 40-yr composite roof to last?

I personally never trust door knocker repair people.

When we purchased our house in 2015, there were some missing shingles, but no signs of any damage that would indicate the roof needed replacement. The previous owner put installed a 40-year roof sometime over the past 15-20 years.

Over the past few years, we have had storms strong enough that I had the the roof checked, and still the response was there was not sufficient damage to replace it.

Over the past few weeks, i have had numerous roofers stop by to highlight that i once again have missing shingles, and urged me to file a claim. All indicating that they would be able to work the the insurance company to do a full replacement. We did have our house painted last year, and i know that activity took off a few of the shingles.

In an area where we have strong weather and hail, how long should I expect a 40-yr composite roof to last?

I also wouldn’t do business with anyone that came up and knocked on my door uninvited.

As to your question there seem to be two types of people or two trains of thoughts to when to do it regardless if the roof is said to be rated at 20-40 years etc. Some people want it replaced at the first sign of wear and the second group wait too long and push the life too far until they have water intrusion and maybe even wood damage.

Most likely it is in part economical and if you have other places that need the money more you let something slide a year or more because by then there is another problem that needs the funds.

I have a friend that replaced his 30 year roof after 10 because he was worried about it. It looked fine to me and he was having no problems but peace of mind was more important than logic.

It sounds like yours has seen some tough times and likely I would be replacing it. It sounds like you would like insurance to pay some of it and they are not willing. All you can do is try and work with them and if they wont and you feel you are right find someone new after you do the repairs without their help.

Ask around neighbors and such and find the guy who has been around and is well regarded. There are people like this in every town you just have to find them. Get them out and ask their advice.

I have a short story about my mom. Years ago she had a hailstorm and a month later she had a leak. She called her insurance company and I called my trusted roofer. He went up and said her roof was shot long before the hail and the hail just finished it off. He said he doubted the insurance would pay much, and if I wanted him to do it winter was coming he was busy and he needed to get started in a few days. She refused to let him start until the insurance guy came out and I was calling him daily and getting a run around. A week and a half past and my roofer told me last chance on getting him before the weather was changing and I told him just do it I will pay him if she wont. He went to work and did a beautiful job and just about the time they were putting the ladders away up comes the insurance adjuster. Yelling what did you do. My roofer told him this woman waited two weeks and couldn’t wait any longer and if she did he would be paying out for all new ceilings and walls and floors. Worst case of hail damage he ever saw. The adjuster didn’t know what to say and they paid for the full job. I told my mom when she writes her life story that chapter needs to be called The Great Cover Up.

Don’t wait that long. And welcome to the forum.

Don't expect a 40 year roof to last 40 years. Warranties are not guarrentees. While some may last 40 years, most don't. Factors like ventilation, over hanging vegetation, proper installation, wind or hail damage, improper flashing can effect the life cycle of the roof. When to replace or repair depends on the integrity of the shingles.

Someone that's knows what to look for really needs to get up on the roof to look it over.
If there not staying stuck down any more that's a good sign there past there prime.
I'm total with Old dog on this one.
Some of the new shingles even have a "Lifetime warranty", totally a BS sales ploy.
It's like primer and paint in one, sounds good on the can but just not work.
Read the warranty's on line, they pay less and less every year, there counting on no one go to the trouble to even file a claim.

Back