The kitchen counter is warping

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have noticed that the kitchen counter has rotated away from the wall. As the picture shows, using the tiles as a reference, the right side is slightly behind the left side. What would have caused this? (My guess would be the heat and moisture from the dishwasher...)

TimePhoto_20220731_171448.jpg

TimePhoto_20220731_171432.jpg

Is it necessary to fix it? If so, how?

Cheers,

Paul

I doubt that an appliance would cause this.

Step away from the separation, at a 45 degree angle, about 10' and give us a panoramic view.

Thanks for your response, @Snoonyb !

I don't live in that house, and cannot readily take another picture. I do have a full picture of the counter from he other side. How much does this help?

TimePhoto_20220731_171505.jpg

Thank you kindly!

Paul

There isn't an intersection between the 2 counters.

Who lives there?

Thanks, it gives a little better perspective.

I would be inclined to believe that the formica counter top, isn't correctly anchored to the cabinets, and this can be ascertained by attempting to lift it.

I can't tell enough about the cabinet or house structure to give sound advice. I might try using a jack and wood blocking (at floor level) to gently try to push the open end of the bar. However it would take some care to avoid damage to cabinet and the wall used to push from.

Thanks everyone for your response.

Just thought that I'd report the fix: a contractor simply pushed it back in place, and told residents to not lean on it any more. This has worked.

Paul

Looking at the gap at the countertop by the DW, and the fact that the cabinets aren't in line with the tiles, I'm thinking the cabinets aren't well secured to the floor and they've shifted. See if they move at all. They should be connected together at the face frames with screws and the back is covered by a panel. They should be secured to the floor since you don't have a wall to attach the backs.

Back