the price of lumber has gone crazy in Canada

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just joined a committee for my HOA and we met for the first time last night...it's kinda scary how a bunch of people get together in a room, and given a little bit of power to collect money, make rules, etc. no matter what their ideological principles might have been before stepping into that room, once they were in there it was all "how do I get my little pet peeve added to the list of things that are not allowed" and "let's ask for just a little more money to cover it, it's just a few more bucks per year, people can afford it". The whole "we could live without it" mentality is completely absent.

So that's government at the smallest scale, I wonder if it's the same dynamic at larger scales.

I just hope the lumber market stabilizes soon and that this isn't some new paradigm shift ushering in a new normal.
A camel is a horse designed by a HOA committee.

Everyone loves the government when they get the benefit as do around 50% of us. Even me, I am a have but I carefully planned my life it wasn't handed to me. I volunteered for the draft in order to get a two year hitch in the Army to get the GI bill. I used the GI bill to get a BSEE, built my own house in order to remain debt free, worked for NASA and got an early retirement which y'all are paying for. However I still think the government meddles and can't properly manage money. There are a great number of gov agencies we could live without and save a lot of money.

There is boatloads of Gubment agencies that could go away. The employees could find work elsewhere. I would start by getting rid of the absolutely worthless VA. Walking into the VA death chamber facility is the same thing as walking in a civilian one. Just scrap all that overhead, sell or lease the buildings, and give Veterans the "benefits" at the local civilian joints. I already have a VA card, that should be all I need.

I just hope the lumber market stabilizes soon and that this isn't some new paradigm shift ushering in a new normal.
I thought the same thing, like when the price of anything takes a big jump for whatever reason. It may pull back once the cause has passed but the price never seems to return to previous levels. I suppose at some point the economy will tank, housing will go belly up again. That may be what it takes to really drop lumber costs. A large pull back in demand.

In the 2010s, I forget exactly when, gas was back down to late 1990s/early 2000s prices. 1.19/gal type stuff. Still hasn't climbed as high as 2008/9 ($4+/gal) since. No idea how much of that is the government's thumb on the scales vs. more conventional market forces.

I had to buy a few sticks of framing lumber this weekend for my basement project. I bought a bunch a couple of months ago a 2x4x10 was just under $10, over the weekend it was over $12 USD. Thankfully I'm about done with framing.

Back