The ultimate newbie!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum. If you are a true newbie to all of this, then the first place to start is with some basic tools. Tell us what you have and the type of things you would like to be able to do on your own and we can give you a shopping list and eventually the knowledge to use them. I don’t know a single person that does this stuff that didn’t have a lifelong quest for collecting new tools. :welcome:

Well, they say honesty is the best policy, and you've got an honest start i suppose. Jump right in. Are you a new homeowner? What kind of projects are on your list? And/or just read along with the current threads and learn all kinds of shi...I mean stuff.

Welcome to the forum. If you are a true newbie to all of this, then the first place to start is with some basic tools. Tell us what you have and the type of things you would like to be able to do on your own and we can give you a shopping list and eventually the knowledge to use them. :welcome:
Well, I have some basic tools but not a whole lot. What basic tools would a homeowner need to make different repairs around the house? The only thing I'm thinking I need at this moment is an electric drill set.

Thanks.

I'm sure others can weigh in as well, here is a good start for tools:
A good set of screwdrivers
Hand saw
Circular saw - corded
Cordless drill - 18 or 20v - Around Christmas the big box home improvement stores have decent deals on nice combination sets from Dewalt, Ryobi and others. I have both Ryobi and Dewalt. Dewalt is nicer, but also more expensive.
Tape Measure
Speed Square
Channel Lock pliers
Adjustable wrench
Lineman's pliers
Diagonal cutters
Utility Knife
Metric and SAE combination wrenches
Metric and SAE socket set
Torpedo level
2' level
set of drill bits (combination kits are good start)
A good set of wood chisels
16 oz claw hammer
flat bar
Cats Paw
Putty knife

Moving on to bigger things
drywall taping knives
drywall tray for mud
drywall hand sander
power miter saw
saber (jig) saw
Framing square
Chalk Line
Palm sander
Belt sander
Oscillating saw
Cordless driver (see kit comment above)

And to add to Sparkys list, a camera. If you take things apart, take a bunch of pics during the process so you know how to put them back together. Label anything that might need to join something else, like electrical, with painters tape.

And to add to Sparkys list, a camera. If you take things apart, take a bunch of pics during the process so you know how to put them back together. Label anything that might need to join something else, like electrical, with painters tape.

Everyone’s main tool now is there smart phone camera and the best accessory is the selfie stick. NO don’t send us pics of yourself. But when you need to see into a tight place you cant get your head into turn on the movie and take a look around at arms length.

I agree with oldog posting a pic on here saves a lot of time showing us your problem.

Ok, this is what I need to buy right now. Check this picture I’m attaching and I hope you can see it. I need the tool that will allow me to screw/unscrew these guys. Going by @Sparky617’s list above, this is for a hand saw? I need it to replace the blade.

I also need right now a hand drill set. Do you buy the drill and the bits (is that what they’re called?) separately or they come in a set?

I need to be able to get them at Lowe’s or my local hardware store. Maybe—maybe—HomeDepot.

Thanks.

Attachments

• A990CCC6-D840-4376-9D2B-5F58C6359738.jpeg
    A990CCC6-D840-4376-9D2B-5F58C6359738.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 12

Attachments

• 0F4B417E-64D5-4E03-BEB4-5EF651423405.jpeg
    0F4B417E-64D5-4E03-BEB4-5EF651423405.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 7
What are you looking for? Corded, battery operated, old school hand crank...bits are sold separately.
I guess cordless, battery operated is what most people use these days. No need to be difficult, no hand-cranked for me.

Thanks.

So the bits are always sold separately? They never come in a set that could be less expensive than buying separately? Also are bits pretty standard in what parts they have or can one get different types containing different pieces?

I’d like to buy soon.

Thanks.

Back