The "What did you do today thread"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right, furnace guy told me it could not be fixed. Tried to sell me one. We got it working, my wife and I. To be honest, she did most of it, I can't see.

Awesome news. Can your eyes be fixed? I go in in 2 weeks for new cataract replacement.

Chris, sounds like you've been very busy, but it also sounds like your place is coming along nicely.
I hope your eyes can be fixed, Rusty.
Havasu, I hope your cataract surgery goes well. Sometimes about 6 months to a year after the lens will cloud over and you have to get it cleared out, but that followup surgery is very quick. I think it took 2 minutes for my mother.
Finally got around to testing the dryer out and it works. My friend pushing the breaker on all the way worked. My eyesight is so bad I couldn't even tell it wasn't flipped all the way and I guess I didn't push hard enough when I flipped it on and off before. But now it's fixed.
Discovered that one of the kittens we thought was female is really male. Neutering is less expensive than spaying and can be put off longer.

I had lasik eye surgery 6-7 years ago and my only regret is not doing it sooner.

So, a local guy murdered a woman out in my neck of the woods. Claimed he "stumbled" and accidentally shot her. They were trespassing in a no-hunting area and he had a gun. He was drunk and on meth. They are charging him with negligent homicide despite this being the SECOND time he has "accidentally" killed someone out in the woods. The previous time was in 2010 when a friend of his went missing and was found dead in the woods the next morning. At first they said it was suicide, then they found out this guy shot him. The guy claimed they were hunting together and that it was an accident-- except, the victim wasn't wearing his hunting clothes (it was as if he'd been kidnapped and forced out into the woods-- probably at gunpoint) and the killer had recently found out that the victim was having an affair with his wife. Police did a half-assed investigation, gave him a polygraph (he passed) and declined to file charges. And now they are too inept/lazy to connect the dots and have a serious investigation.

So, a local guy murdered a woman out in my neck of the woods. Claimed he "stumbled" and accidentally shot her. They were trespassing in a no-hunting area and he had a gun. He was drunk and on meth. They are charging him with negligent homicide despite this being the SECOND time he has "accidentally" killed someone out in the woods. The previous time was in 2010 when a friend of his went missing and was found dead in the woods the next morning. At first they said it was suicide, then they found out this guy shot him. The guy claimed they were hunting together and that it was an accident-- except, the victim wasn't wearing his hunting clothes (it was as if he'd been kidnapped and forced out into the woods-- probably at gunpoint) and the killer had recently found out that the victim was having an affair with his wife. Police did a half-assed investigation, gave him a polygraph (he passed) and declined to file charges. And now they are too inept/lazy to connect the dots and have a serious investigation.

It is very hard to be drunk and on meth. Meth counteracts the effects of being drunk. Sounds like a lousy cover up.

havasu is the cataract surgery replacement or lazer breaking up of the haze?

I have parents with eye issues, and I've had cataracts replaced as I had a hole in my left retina 2 years ago and had first air bubble, then gas bubble put in eye to keep area dry so it would heal. Fortunately it did heal.

The craziest thing, I didn't know about the hole until getting an eye exam for new glasses before an insurance expired. Found out I could not see center vision. We tried me looking out at a person walking in a store door, and with that eye I could see the person perfectly, but WITHOUT A HEAD. Very neat.

Hope you eye correction goes really well and quickly stabilize.

From what I understand, they will be doing a lens replacement and while they are excavating, they will be adding a stint to control my glaucoma. Once done, they will be adding a trifocal lens so with what vision I still have will be enhanced so I should be able to see short, medium and long distances without glasses.

Wow, Mark. That is a lot of new technology going to work for you. I find what they can do with eyes amazing.

Mom has Macular Degenration and gets shots in the eye to control it.

I'm glad that you can have new lense and the stint. Seeing is so important.

Does insurance cover the trifocal lenses now? When my mother was getting hers done they told her she could either get it so she could see far away without glasses or she could see near without glasses. She couldn't do both or in between. The one for both was not covered by insurance at that time. Only, because of macular degeneration she now needs glasses for far away, near, and in between (computer). My father had the surgery to be able to see far away, but soon regretted it because he needed glasses to read and he liked to take his glasses off to read.

Chris, I didn't realize meth counteracted alcohol. I just know that there are a lot of drunkards and a lot of meth-heads around here. The reports said the guy was found to have alcohol, marijuana, and crystal meth in his system. I still don't buy that it was an accident though.

I have a $2500 co pay per eye with the tri focal lenses. Insurance only covers a normal, non-focal lens.

Still probably worth it. Cost me about 5k to get my eyes done and I would do it again in a heart beat.

My sentiments exactly Chris. I only wear reading glasses, at the tune of 4 sets of glasses for $20 when purchased at Costco, but I get tired of lugging them around. If I can't spend $5k (which is exactly what I will be spending) on myself, I have done something awfully wrong.

We are burying Cindy's brother in law tomorrow. The guy was 59 years old, a loser truck driver who didn't have a pot to piss in, but had money to buy meth to use everyday before his driving job. Well, he blew up his heart last week. He doesn't have enough money to even bury himself, so the family had to go to a "Go Fund" me site to gather enough money to get him buried. What a frickin loser!

A note to all, if you have worked all your life and can't afford to get yourself buried, you need to really soul search where you made a wrong turn and correct it before it is too late.

Glad I don't live in California. Ordered some ammo on line, special price, and it will be delivered by FEDEX to my front door tomorrow. (free shipping)

What did you get and how much did you pay?

Did you pay tax on that?
I see Cabela's has a sale on Black Friday where they have 350 9mm rounds for $99, but with a $30 rebate. I still get my 9mm factory reloads for $.21 cents a piece delivered with no tax. $210 for 1000.

My sentiments exactly Chris. I only wear reading glasses, at the tune of 4 sets of glasses for $20 when purchased at Costco, but I get tired of lugging them around. If I can't spend $5k (which is exactly what I will be spending) on myself, I have done something awfully wrong.

We are burying Cindy's brother in law tomorrow. The guy was 59 years old, a loser truck driver who didn't have a pot to piss in, but had money to buy meth to use everyday before his driving job. Well, he blew up his heart last week. He doesn't have enough money to even bury himself, so the family had to go to a "Go Fund" me site to gather enough money to get him buried. What a frickin loser!

A note to all, if you have worked all your life and can't afford to get yourself buried, you need to really soul search where you made a wrong turn and correct it before it is too late.

I agree. I have buddies that are my age. About 40 that have nothing to show for in life, By this age you should be trying at least to make something of yourself.

I agree. I have buddies that are my age. About 40 that have nothing to show for in life, By this age you should be trying at least to make something of yourself.

Although, in fairness, some people just have very bad luck and even without making bad decisions have things happen- like car wrecks or houses burning down or natural disasters or major health problems/injuries.

If someone is wasting their $ on illegal drugs and stealing from people and generally being useless, they are losers. But sometimes there are people who keep trying and life keeps knocking them back down.

I finally got tired of tripping over trash in the kitchen and ended up doing my brother's job (that he hasn't done in a few weeks despite promising to take trash out twice a week) and filled multiple bags with trash. I still have more to clean, but I have difficulty with bending. I also have been working on laundry. Lots of laundry piled up while the dryer wasn't working.

Although, in fairness, some people just have very bad luck and even without making bad decisions have things happen- like car wrecks or houses burning down or natural disasters or major health problems/injuries.

If someone is wasting their $ on illegal drugs and stealing from people and generally being useless, they are losers. But sometimes there are people who keep trying and life keeps knocking them back down.

I agree, I have known a few people that just can't catch a break. It also has a lot to do with location, it is harder in a small town to get ahead.

Latest posts

Back