The wheel falls off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dclynds

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the wrong board for this issue, but I have a large garbage can where one of the wheels came off. It requires a special type of hub that connects the wheel to the axle, but unfortunately that piece is long gone. I emailed the manufacturer for help on getting a replacement part, but haven't heard back. Looking for good ideas to keep this wheel attached to the axle. I've been using metal clamp rings, but they only last a little while before the wheel comes off again.

Attachments

• 20220705_124959.jpg
    20220705_124959.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 0
I can't tell by looking but you might try looking for "axle push nuts" at a hardware or big box store.

Second photo seems to show at least one snap ring groove.

Attachments

• Snap Ring.jpg
    Snap Ring.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
Do you own the bin or was it provided by your hauler? My town collects the trash and recycling and provides the bin. When a bin is broken they'll replace it for free. Before I spent much time and effort repairing it, I'd go for a replacement from your hauler, if free. They probably have replacement parts to rebuild them as I'm fairly certain you're not the first to experience the problem.

I had a rolling tool box that the plastic wheels broke on, I purchased new wheels and a push nut to secure the new wheels.

Do you own the bin or was it provided by your hauler? My town collects the trash and recycling and provides the bin. When a bin is broken they'll replace it for free. Before I spent much time and effort repairing it, I'd go for a replacement from your hauler, if free. They probably have replacement parts to rebuild them as I'm fairly certain you're not the first to experience the problem.

I had a rolling tool box that the plastic wheels broke on, I purchased new wheels and a push nut to secure the new wheels.
The service provider gave me the bin back in 2015, but they don't do that anymore. I'm on my own

These won't work? Alternatively, like my tool box mentioned above. You can probably find similar size wheels at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and get a piece of round metal rod to use as an axel and either drill a small hole through the rod for a cotter pin, or use and end cap. I converted a one wheel barrow into a two wheel with a piece of round stock as the axel. On my tool box I was able to find axel caps to fit the axel, I got the wheels at Harbor Freight.

Amazon

Last edited:
The axle might not be long enough to put a push nut on the end so I would try to remove the axle altogether and buy a round piece of stock just a little bit longer. Drill a hole at each end, and put a washer and cotter pin outside of each wheel.

I think the waste management company has some responsibility if not to replace the bin at least to assist in locating parts. Try going higher up the management chain.

In my there is a TV reporter that just loves to get involved with "fell in the crack" responsibility issues.

The axle might not be long enough to put a push nut on the end so I would try to remove the axle altogether and buy a round piece of stock just a little bit longer. Drill a hole at each end, and put a washer and cotter pin outside of each wheel.
That's the kind of idea I'm looking for. The axle is 5/8" x 22" long which is longer than the axles I've found in the replacement kits. I'll look up a round piece of stock...

I found an interesting hack using HF wheels. I wonder how he kept wheels from rubbing the bin. For my generator my son used PVC pipe spacers on the axle.

Last edited:
Back