Thermostat C Wire Adding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmcty182

Reaction score
Hello.
I am looking to install a new smart thermostat which will need a C wire. (First photo) When I took the old thermostat off the wall i found only 4 wires plugged in, there was a slot labeled C but there were no wires plugged in it. There was a separate wire alone not plugged in to any of the slots that is part of the wire bundle coming out of the wall. I went into my attic where the AC unit is located (sorry if I'm getting the lingo wrong) and opened up the panel to show the wire connections on this end (see other photo of panel). I see that the same wires are plugged into their ends here, and again there is a slot labeled C. At this end it looks like the blue wire that was free at the thermostat end is also free here. My question is, can I simply plug that free blue wire into the slot labeled C and plug it into the new smart thermostat on the C connection? Is it that simple?
I greatly appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 20180411_194822.jpg
    20180411_194822.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180414_094441.jpg
    20180414_094441.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 7
Thank you. Does it make a difference if it's the Nest thermostat E? Nest says it doesn't need a C wire, but from the problems I've seen researching this, it sounds like I should have one? Just making sure there's no issue with the Nest, and with plugging in the C wire to my AC.

I can't speak specifically to the nest, but when the c-wire is optional it means that the thermostat will run the system to charge itself (which is not ideal). If you have a c-wire use it, trust me adding a c-wire to a system that doesn't have dedicated 24vdc is a pain.

Latest posts

Back