Thermostat clicks but nothing happens

Help Support House Repair Talk:

kok328

Reaction score
I didn't realize we were talking about an electric heater with A/C.
That 60 amp breaker is not for the A/C.
Turn on power to the air handler and see if it is flashing diagnostics codes.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
One thing I noticed about the photo of the circuit breaker , the lugs where the 2 large black wires terminate , show corrosion .

With the circuit breaker in your panel turned on . Be CAREFUL !

If you have a volt meter & wearing leather or rubber gloves , test to see if you have 240 VAC at the 2 black wires / lugs

If good , test at the 2 lugs at the opposite end of the circuit breaker . Where the small black & small red wires are located .

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:

o2284200

Reaction score
Just a hopeful shot in the dark.
Thanks!
Hoping someone more knowledgeable than I might be able to look further at the wiring diagram to see if there are provisions for a panel or door safety switch.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
Did not see a door switch in the wiring diagram .

Can not remember the correct name , but the diagram looks like this may be a variable speed motor ?

God bless
Wyr

o2284200

Reaction score
Did not see a door switch in the wiring diagram .

Can not remember the correct name , but the diagram looks like this may be a variable speed motor ?

God bless
Wyr
Great, thanks!

If no door switch, we're back to:
Power on to air handler...
No flashing codes or lights.

FWIW, as for the motor, others have told me the following:
the unit has a X-13 constant torque motor which is tricky for some Pros and hard for a DIYer to troubleshoot... It uses a low voltage signal from the circuit board to energize the motor. Has no capacitor and is not a PSC motor. You need a flow chart and some electrical experience and test meter and to follow the chart steps to check it, not easy to do over the net.
Here's a pic of wiring diagram for ez viewing:

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
this will help understand some of the wiring but right at the end he talks about a flood switch that turns everything off if the water isn't draining
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCgPskm9aHs[/ame]

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Neal, where are we with this one?

What's not working and what has been tested?:confused:
Givin the location of the motor and individual plugs on it it will be hard to test for power there. So before he gets into that I just want to make sure it isn't some other switch like the float or something. But as usual, I am over my head.
We will need a better picture of the wiring diagram and maybe by feel he can find the other ends of the wires to test them.:hide: