Thermostat Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff7

Reaction score
I bought a new digital thermostat at lowes to replace my current Trane mechanical thermostat. I thought it would be quick install, but I have wiring problem. The current thermostat has 8 wires hooked to it from the wiring out of the wall. The new thermostat only has enough terminals for a 4 or 5 wire connection. Do I need the extra wires? Do I need to purchase a new T-stat with a 8 wire connection? Can i just connect the 5 wires and forget about the rest? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

More info needed to give proper advice.
what is the make and model of the old T-stat
what type of heat/cool system,(forced air gas or oil,heat pump, hot water, electric)???)
what make ,model is the new T-stat.
Post back with this info and you may get some definite advice.
Thank you.

The make and model of the old t-stat is Trane Weatherton
Hear pump system - Trane Weatherton High Efficiency Heat Pump XE 1100
New T-stat Hunter Just Right Model # 42999
Hope someone can help me out.....

Hello Jeff:
Your heat pump requires lines for the reversing valve which changes from heat to cool. It also probably has a supplemental electric heater and an emergency heater. If your new t-stat doesn't provide for those functions you will have trouble.
I would recommend going back to the Trane dealer and asking him for an up dated thermostat that will answer to the things you desire.
Glenn

Back