Thermostat wiring in cold air return?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelover

Reaction score
I'm upgrading to a two stage furnace and I need to run new wires to my new thermostat . The problem is that the basement ceiling is drywalled. I know that you can't run 110 volt wires through a duct, but it is kosher to run low voltage thermostat wires through a cold air duct?

Any other clever solutions?

Thanks!

I have seen cold and hot water pipes running through a duct...you can do what you want I guess.:eek:
Instead of running on the inside of the house, can you run it along the outside under the bottom row of siding? I see phone lines always tucked under that bottom starter strip.
Otherwise do you need some small crown moulding in your basement.:D

I have seen cold and hot water pipes running through a duct...you can do what you want I guess.:eek:
Instead of running on the inside of the house, can you run it along the outside under the bottom row of siding? I see phone lines always tucked under that bottom starter strip.
Otherwise do you need some small crown moulding in your basement.:D

Thanks, I also have learned that there are wireless thermostats now - may be a solution.

The first decision to affect the wiring is whether the thermostats will be ... along the floor also allows a faster response time to incoming cold air

Latest posts

Back