tiled shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnfontana

Reaction score
I havea tiled shower that does not completely drain due to improper sloping. A 12" section keeps about a 1/4" of water. The shower is on a concrete slab. The water collects in the middle of the floor with the drain on the left side of the shower and the shower head on the right. Do I need to worry about ant potential damage over time? Mold? Could glazing the tile fix this problem since it us a minimal amount of water?

The slope was not set properly when the shoerpan was constructed. You have a couple of options:

1. Have the tile removed and the slope re-done properly before re-tiling
2. Tile over the existing, using thinset to re-set the slope properly.

The best option is #1

Best of luck

Option 3:
(the cheap one)
Get a squeegee and squeegee the water into the drain after a shower. Watch what you do so it does not get slippery from either sealers of slim growth

Thanks for the info. I figured it would have to be retiled. Ive been using the squeegee idea already and have to scrub the tile often to remove scum.

I do have one more question. Whats wrong with this picture? Obviously this shower drain was jstalled incorrectly but do you have any idea as to what they did based on the pics provided?

ForumRunner_20120702_110546.png

ForumRunner_20120702_110626.png

Looks like they came up short on the stub-up from the p-trap. They filled the underside with caulk, which has trapped gunk over time. Can't be completely sure based on the photos. A complete fix would require removing tile and the drain so it could be re-set.

Sorry for the bad news.

You can find many videos on the process on Youtube:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRwNZnli6E[/ame]

Good luck

Stanley is right . . . PLUS people forget to re-seal the grout lines regularly. Grout is porous so it needs complete sealing from the start . . . then it needs to be re-sealed every year as a maintenance thing. Easy homeowner thing to do but it is very important.

Back