Tiling Shower walls around Tub

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colby

Reaction score
hello,

I have just finished installing tile around the walls of my shower/tub. i am concerned because i used Omin-Grip , instead of using thinset in a bag. i would like another opinion as to whether or not i should consider tearing the tile down and re-istalling using thinset. I didnt realize until after that the omni-grip is only recommended for up to 16×16 tile; i used 20×20 porcelain. it seems to have held up fine, and is not sagging.

These are the facts:
20” x 20” porcelain tile
Omni-grip maximum strength premixed was used
1/2” wonderboard, cement backer was used

the grout has not been done yet.

i’d just like to know if anyone think i should rip the tile down and re-tile it using a thinset . What woudl be the consequence of leaving it like it is?

any comments are appreciated.

thanks
Colby

I'd let it dry for a week or so, then try to pull the tiles loose. If they are set firmly, then grout. If not, pull 'em off.

AREAS OF USE
 For exterior use on walls no more than 8' (2.4 M) high in
covered areas with intermittent water exposure
 For interior use on floors, walls and countertops
 Interior wet areas with prolonged water exposure such as
commercial showers, tub surrounds and shower walls as
defined by ANSI A136.1, Type I requirements

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/docs/data_sheets/OmniGrip%20DS%205_08.pdf?user=arc&lang=en

You should be fine just as long as you had atleast an 80% glue to tile ratio during initial installation.

Back