Timberline roof shingle problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I noticed that one layer of one of my roof shingles slide out and fell. I guess this is considered delamination? I looked into it a little and it seems like it could be a nailing problem. So how do I fix it without trashing the shingle? I am able to slide it back into place. Just glue it back up?

I had a spot on the roof where the wind would swirl just right between 2 gables and pick up the shingles. Even though they were architectural style they still lifted and even broke off. They were a little on the old side, so that might have been part of it. I would lift the single above with a wide bar just like you would for 3 tab and slide a new shingle in it's place. I'd re-nail as best as I could reach, then glue in place with roofing cement. I hit the nail heads with it too just to be sure. Seemed to work fine. Since the tornado it's been re-shingled (coming up on 3 years now) the new shingles don't have that issue.

We also had that issue at the church and as it turned out a few of the shingles weren't nailed down. Did the same thing there as I did at home.

Please post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
There should be a line right on the shingle telling where to nail them to hold the two pieces together.
I've seen far to many time where someone though that was the exposure line, another one so called contractor had installed the shingles 2" above the line on a gambrel roof!
All the shingles delaminated and slide down the roof.

I'll see if I can get back up there tomorrow. The whole shingle did not come off, just the middle layer. I could see the adhesive lines. And I was able to slip it up underneath the 3 "skirts" that give the shingle it's definition.

If you are having the laminate strip slide out, its because the shingles were high nailed. There's 5/8th of an inch nail line on a dimensional shingle. I would suggest, if the laminate strip is still partially intact, slide them back in place and put a couple dabs of roof cement under the tab.

Yes, no damage at all. I can slide it back in, so just roof cement to hold it. I don't really want to nail it since the nails would show and I stand half a chance of damaging the dang thing.

Is there a good brand of roof cement that I should use?.......or a bad one I should avoid?

And does this mean i can expect more of this to happen?

I would suggest not trying to nail. Shingles may be brittle and trying to lift it to nail it could cause more damage. Face nailing creates a different issue. All the apron stores and most of hardware stores carry a roof cement in the roofing section. Usually, if we find one sliding, another is not far behind.

Back