Toilet bowl empty, tank full

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 1.5 bathrooms. The toilet in my bathroom never gets used because water leaks from tank when someone sits on commode. I think this is because of the sag in the house. But idk.

So... I checked it tonight, which I rarely do because that bathroom NEVER gets used... its a makeshift office of sorts (😬)..... it was completely empty. Sometimes when I check, it has a small amount of water but it was empty.
So... I plan on monitoring it over the newt week and seeing what happens, but when do I know its an actual problem and not evaporation?
Also.... I have set an alarm in my calendar to flush the dumb toilet periodically until I find out whats happening with the sag, and then I will address it after the sag is fixed.

I have had toilet bowl levels to be lowered during windy conditions. I'm thinking yours may be due to a combination of wind over the vent forcing water out of the trap plus evaporation.

Could it be a blocked vent and the drains are pulling air through the toilet bowl? If you pour a bucket of water down the toilet how fast does it drain? For evaporation it would have to go several weeks, if not over a month to completely dry out the bowl.

It sounds like there might be an issue with the flapper valve or the fill valve inside the tank. Over time, these parts can wear out or become misaligned. The first thing I'd suggest is to check if the flapper is sealing correctly. If it's not, water can continuously leak from the tank into the bowl. If the flapper looks good, the fill valve might be the culprit. But if you're not comfortable tinkering with the toilet's internals or if you've tried the basics and still can't pinpoint the issue, it might be time to bring in a pro. After all, continuous water wastage is not something we'd want, both for the environment and the water bills. I recently had some plumbing work done by the best plumbing company in california, and they were absolutely fantastic. Quick, professional, and reasonably priced.

The tank is full, but the bowl is empty. The only time this happens to me is when I don't go to my vacation home enough, and the dry air dries out the bowl.

I have had the sag fixed, but forgot about this issue because we don't use this 1/2 bathroom. Just checked water levels and there is water in the bowl but it barely fills the inside cavity before it meets the opening if the larger portion of the bowl.
Once my floors are done in the kitchen and I am getting ready to move the water supply line, I will have my plumber take a peek at it and see what he thinks!

I have had the sag fixed, but forgot about this issue because we don't use this 1/2 bathroom. Just checked water levels and there is water in the bowl but it barely fills the inside cavity before it meets the opening if the larger portion of the bowl.
Once my floors are done in the kitchen and I am getting ready to move the water supply line, I will have my plumber take a peek at it and see what he thinks!
When you have a toilet that is never used and water loss is likely do to evaporation. What I have done in the past is pour in a cup of vegetable cooking oil into the bowl. It will float on top and stop the evaporation. If the time comes you start using it again it will flush right down.

Back