Toilet clogged - snake won't go down

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg9840

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a clogged toilet and I am looking to avoid having anyone come into my house due to the fact I live in a pandemic hotspot. But I'm not very handy. My toilet was completely clogged and plunging only helped a little, allowing it to slowly drain. I bought the $6 3 foot toilet augur they sell on Amazon and Walmart, and snaked it, and everything seemed to be working great, but it clogged almost immediately. I tried it again and it worked fine again, and the toilet was flushing fine, and then clogged a short time later. I tried to snake it a third time and this time, the snake would not go all the way down. And when I turned the handle, it would wind up super tight and then quickly spin backwards when I let go. If I pushed the snake really hard, it would fold over itself and the tip would come back out. So, I figured I need a stronger snake that won't fold and come back out, so I bought the $55 Rigid 6 foot auger. It will not go all the way down. I have been pushing and turning as hard as I can, and it only goes maybe 2 or 2 1/2 feet down. Like the cheap augur, when I reach the point it won't go down anymore and I turned the handle, it winds up tight and then spins the opposite way very fast when I let go. I really don't want to take the toilet off myself to try to find a toy or something in there (I have a 3 year old) and have to do a new wax ring, etc. and I'm afraid I'll mess it up and have a leak, etc. Is there anything else I can try before I have a plumber come?
Thanks!

Sounds like you are at the point where you need to use a wet/dry shop vac, vacuum the water and waste out, then remove the WC.

There any # of u-tube's which will instruct you about the wax ring install.

Something to consider is, you may have a calcium buildup narrowing the WC throat, and the cure for that is replacement.

This is what i would do
1) turn off water to toilet.
2) vacuum out the tank and bowl
3) take toilet to garage or back lawn
4) stick a hose in the bottom of the toilet and back flush
5) if this does not work stick the toilet auger (snake ) in the back end
BTW you can turn cw or ccw with a snake.

Hi, do you have access underneath the toilet ie. basement, is there possibly a clean out there that can be accessed carefully?
Geo

Back