toilet drain pipe connected to elbow pipe using silicone Sealant! View video here

Help Support House Repair Talk:

David Banner

Reaction score
I was seeing water dripping off my porch ceiling from a old nail hole. I then realize it happens every time the toilet above is flushed. So I think it may just be a bad wax seal. I take off toilet to inspect and find the wax seal is fine. But then I stick a flashlight down the drain pipe and I see the most ridiculous thing in home building. When they built this cheap track housing, they used the same sized pipe to connect the toilet side pipe that sticks into floor to meet up with the elbow pipe using silicone sealant Instead of using the correct coupler sleeve with glue or proper banding together. They instead jerry-rigged it with silicone sealant! View my video and tell me if you see what I see and if you have any comparison to this setup. You can view it by copy and paste this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18wT...ew?usp=sharing

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I will say it is pretty crazy and a mystery that will likely never be solved as to why it was done. Most of the time when you see crazy stuff it was the previous owner’s handy work.

Best to not even try and figure out the why and just jump in and do the repair that is needed to correct the problem. If I remember correct you were opening that end of the ceiling below because of some bad wood. You might need to open it again and fix the drain line.

Latest posts